Modes: why you might need them and why you probably don't

2 Likes

Bass lines as well, they come from the same set of notes.

This comment stung me a bit close to reality!

I’ve been floating with “what is the point of making modes apart of your playing” for some time now.

I made this diagram which my teacher calls “how an engineer would look at modes” but not “in a bad way” lol.

I basically understand drilling them now as a structure to know how far you can test the boundaries of staying in a tonic before your doing something “foreign” entirely. But as you said, studying them isn’t going to suddenly make you some magical musician, it’s just neat connections.

1 Like

As an engineering tech, I HATE charts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: because they do little to help one understand a concept :slight_smile:

To me, the most useful way to look at each mode is its relationship to either the major or minor scales which we (hopefully) already know.

It depends too on how you’re going to use a mode… are you going to use it as a key/scale to write a piece or are you going to use the modes to solo over chord changes.

Not 3k… but a good espresso machine (with high enough pressure!) And a good grinder (so that you can pick the best size of the ground coffee, be it for espresso, Moka or French press) make a real difference and you can have both for something like 250 USD/EUR… Just sayin’ :wink:

1 Like

Even the grinder is overrated. You can get to where you can produce grinds good enough to make coffee indistinguishable from an expensive burr grinder even on a $15 Melitta.

1 Like

Ya, I thought I was enjoying my coffee until YT and some coffee forums told me that I was drinking crap :joy:

and I even buy ground espresso roast too :open_mouth:

If you’ve never seen him before, check out James Hoffmann’s YT channel. Im not weighing my grind, I’m not timing my shots… I just could never care that much about anything but I find him entertaining lol

1 Like

No thanks - I deeply loathe coffee winesnobbing.

There’s a cadre of single origin geeks at work and I love to occasionally drop in with “you know… blends are actually better” just to stir some sh*t :rofl:

(nevermind that blends actually are better - coffee isn’t wine, dudes. Blends work great and fix the deficiencies of each of the component beans via complementing.)

3 Likes

Tell them they don’t know anything until they have had Kopi Luak coffee. How this post ended up in Modes, I do not know. I hope @PamPurrs doesn’t see this here, she may call me out on hijacking a thread.

3 Likes

Yep, the famous cat poop coffee. I am pretty sure these guys will have tried it.

Lol no worries @AnotherJosh , this thread was already ruined by the handful of people here who have no concept of how to keep a thread on topic.

1 Like

Oh, they get the concept. But the wander lust for Subterranean Rodential Roadways™ is insatiably alluring. :rabbit2:

1 Like

Any organic product that tastes the same over time is blended in some fashion. Even single bean/variety etc type stuff. They can presort based on batch for acidity, sweetness, tartness, color you name it. There’s a reason Tropicana tasted the same year on year regardless of crop etc.

Blends are your friends, snap snap snap.

1 Like

Yeah, agree :slight_smile:

Everyone who’s seen “the bucket list” knows where that coffee comes from :laughing:

I was musically educated at an advanced level in the classical world before coming to guitar and bass. The obsession with modes in the guitar world is…bizarre. So much instruction on how modes are derived and how to practice the modes across the fretboard. Very little on what to actually do with them.

To put it in perspective, the section on modes/modal mixture in my classical music composition text book was one chapter out of around 50 chapters. A dozen pages out of 550 pages. I don’t think we even spent a full lecture on modes. For 300 years (1600 - 1900), European classical composers barely used modes. (Claude Debussy clears his throat…)

If your goal is to play lead guitar or to be able to improvise then, yes, studying modes makes sense to a certain extent. But you can get a lot of mileage improvising using the major, minor, and blues scales. Whole careers have been built on using just the pentatonic versions of those scales, no modes at all. The over-pivot on the importance of modes in the guitar world seems disproportionate to the actual need for it.

8 Likes

It really is weird.

2 Likes

Thinking about it more, it’s tempting to blame modern Jazz.

2 Likes

Modes are used extensively in jazz lines, on bass and solo instruments. And it’s not just modern jazz.

Like anything else, modes are there for those who want to use them.

4 Likes

I can’t help but shake the feeling that historically, Jazz musicians just went chromatic when they wanted to, but now feel like they need to justify it.

Reminds me of the post I saw where a guy posted his sweet Dorian riff that never used the 6th :rofl:

2 Likes