Mono Synth Pedal - Hard To Play?

Hello everyone!
Recently I got a Bass Mono Synth pedal by EHX and I just started using it to learn some synth basslines, but I’m finding it difficult to play/use. Sometimes the synth note gets delayed, and a lot of times the note it puts out doesn’t change if I try to tap. I also have to mute before playing a note pretty much after every note. Any suggestions?

Can’t comment on the pedal as I’ve never used one but if you have to mute every note perhaps a fret wrap might help?

1 Like

Hard to say…adjust settings on it and try different settings, usually delay or strength of effect are adjustable, find out what each knob does. Then it’s just getting a feel for it. Affects do that, you got to kind of mess around with them to figure out how to best utilize them. If I have distortion/OD on I play differently than if I have reverb or an octaver effect, and different from those if I have Wah or Synth.

1 Like

This has a Wah and Synth in it if I remember
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12NN7IYSohREqsU724bmESRCPthNDV-Ta/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

Sounds to me like a normal tracking issue that you often see on pedals like this (and octavers).

If you are putting it after a compressor, try applying almost no compression and some clean boost. Or try it before the compressor.

Otherwise, just try and get a feel for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, try something other than fingerstyle. Something like a pick, with a sharp attack.

(Or, as my inner synth player is screaming, if you want a synth, buy a MIDI controller and download a synthesizer :slight_smile: )

1 Like

+1 to this and the rest of what @howard had to say.
Some pedals have a real hard time picking up what the bass is doing.

Does it respond better in the upper register?
Usually pedals will do much better in the upper register than the lower register.
You gotta find the sweet spot for the pedal and work with it where it can work.

2 Likes

What’s a fret wrap (haha sorry I’m a noob)

it’s my only pedal! :rofl:
I’ll definitely be practicing with it, I’m learning these free synth bass lines from SBL: The 10 Greatest Synth Bass Lines Through History (and how to get the sounds) - YouTube

1 Like

I’ll research MIDI controllers :slight_smile:

yeah, it does :slight_smile:

1 Like

Helps mute the strings. Amazon.com

However, it’s recommended to use it as an effect, and not to hide technique opportunities.
Here’s Julia doing a great demo on them.

2 Likes

Ohhh yeah those things! Thx

1 Like

Awesome video and effects!

1 Like