More General forum Questions

With the forum getting so busy it’s getting harder and harder to keep up. Is there a way to ‘follow’ someone so you see all of their posts?

For instance, I would like to be able to follow @JoshFossgreen and @Gio.

6 Likes

Other then just double clicking on their name in the header of any post, to open their page and look it up, I know no other way.
Sorry🥺

3 Likes

Good question @eric.kiser. I don’t think there’s any option like that for individual users - when I go to your profile I only see these three options -

You can follow topics with more options thans for users though:

So if you set a thread to “Watching,” you won’t miss anything. But that doesn’t mean you won’t miss someone’s posts in another thread you haven’t seen yet.

You can fuss with this stuff in your Profile -> Preferences -> Notifications too:

Following users would be a cool feature, I don’t know anyway to implement it on the Discourse platform but I’ll keep it in mind.

5 Likes

@eric.kiser I found this follow plug-in for Discourse. I have no idea if it would work for this forum. I have not tried it because I am faint of heart and on a work computer now. The link comes with installation instructions and a lot of discussion about the various iterations of the plug-in based on user reports:

2 Likes

That is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks.

I didn’t know whether this was something that was native to the Discourse platform or not.

2 Likes

Thanks @JimP, that looks perfect! I’ll bounce it to the team. The risk of installing plugins on the forum is that they’re not officially supported, and developers can drop support at any time, so it’s possible at some point it would start causing problems… but that would really be a great feature!

Users can’t install plugins, it’s something that has to be done by admins for the whole forum… as far as I can tell.

3 Likes

UPDATE!

We’ve installed the follow plugin! So now if you just head to someone’s profile, there will be a Follow button:
Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 11.19.33 AM

When you follow someone, you’ll get notifications when they post.

There will also be a ‘Network’ tab on your profile page where you can see everyone you’re following, and who’s following you:

I’ll make a sticky post about this. Thanks for the suggestion @eric.kiser!

12 Likes

Very cool, and thanks to all. Not that it matters, but when you follow somebody, they get a message that you are following them.

Not that it matters to me, or that I think it matters to anybody else, but just so you are aware, it does do that.

Is there a “mark all as read” feature on the forums?

2 Likes

That you’ll be cool

@howard Here is a pretty thorough discussion on what you can do.

TL;DR: Look for the dismiss buttons on the ‘new’ and ‘unread’ pages.

2 Likes

There’s also a dismiss button for your notifications at the bottom of the notification list.

2 Likes

Hey @JoshFossgreen!
Is there a way to implement reactions other than hearts for likes? Maybe laugh, wow, confusion, or others reactions?

4 Likes

:arrow_double_up:
:arrow_double_up:

YES, PLEASE @JoshFossgreen

3 Likes

That sounds fun, but there’s no mechanism for that on the Discourse platform, so we’ll just have to keep hearting away. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s okay. Thanks for checking.

4 Likes