Motown Acme "Wolfbox" - anyone have one?

Was going down the infinite trail of things online and read all the history of this Motown DI box and was impressed with the sound change.
Being as I don’t understand any of this stuff much yet, thought you all might know…

1. Are the newer versions ‘close’ to the originals or is the extra $ well spent if you can nab one with the original transformers?
  2. Are they for recording only or can you pump to an amp?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

DI’s are usually used to send the signal to mixers. They can be used for recording (by sending to the XLR in on an audio interface, or recording off the mixer, etc) but their primary use is not necessarily recording.

I listened to clips of that box and it’s pretty much a snake oil at $500…I’d rather get regular good DI and add “magic” with the plugins.

1 Like

Yeah. and if you aren’t gigging or recording in a real studio, or using a mixer at home, I’d actually question if you need a DI at all. For home recording you need an audio interface (DAI), not a DI.

If you are gigging or going in to the studio, you will absolutely want a DI at some point though.

1 Like

ah, got it, thanks!!!

1 Like

Just be aware that a lot of DIs are actually Pre-Amps with DI. Those have equalisers on them (and sometimes more) and do more than just provide a XLR output.

1 Like

Yep. Preamps are always useful. In fact if you only get one pedal, a preamp is a good choice.

1 Like

Those old DI had a color due to their imperfect design, but this color is not really the purpose of a DI. so, modern DI are usually much more transparent.

I’m sure there are VSTs for this motown sound.

2 Likes

I listened to a few and all I noticed sounded like a bit of saturation. No way would I spend more than $50 on this thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

actually just got my Rumble Studio (updating firmware now) but noticed a Motown setting.

2 Likes

There you go :slight_smile:

1 Like