Moving on song wise

I’m not sure where to put this so I’m gonna put it in technique.

I’ve worked for about a month on the Billie Jean bassline but I can’t play the whole song through at normal tempo without my hands cramping after two minutes. Which is an improvement from 4 weeks ago but I need a new song because practicing is starting to become a chore. Any recommendations?

4 Likes

Where to start? Which module have you reached? Have you looked at the 50 songs with the course? How often do you practice? What would you like to play?

3 Likes

I’m not currently enrolled in the beginner to badass course because I am still in high school. I have not checked the 50 songs list on the forum which I will look at shortly. I practice around 45 minutes a day with 2 hours on a good day and 30 on a bad day.

2 Likes

Rule No.1: before and after every practice session always stretch you hands, wrists, fingers and forearms. Check some YT videos for this stretch exercises because they really help in the long run.

Problems with cramping are coming from bad technique and not enough finger strength. You are probably using way to much power to press down the strings and this is tiring your muscles quickly. Good news is this will all improve in time if you practice every day but don’t practice through pain. Stop, relax and continue with different song or practice some scales up and down the neck. This will greatly improve your finger strength and coordination.

Lastly make sure your instrument has proper setup, high action for beginners can cause a lot of trouble.

4 Likes

I think the hand cramps are from high usage of my pinky because I do pressure exercises and technique exercises before I start doing songs

1 Like

Give Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes a shot. Sounds great, it’s fun to play, and tabs are easy to find online.

4 Likes

Yeah Billie Jean for 4 1/2 minutes straight is super-demanding. I always cramp up bad towards the end. Without knowing your tastes it’s hard to recommend other songs, but I’ve had fun with these that kind of coincide with the skill level of being able to play Billie Jean at tempo for an extended stretch. All of these also help build hand stamina over a full song.

Otis Redding - I Can’t Turn You Loose
The Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There
Smokey Robinson - Tears of a Clown
Ray Charles/Blues Brothers - Shake a Tail Feather
Rancid - Time Bomb
No Doubt - Don’t Speak

3 Likes

I try some of these out! Thanks :))

3 Likes

I guess goals matter in this regard. Are you seeking to just have some songs to play which is a great goal, or are you looking to learn and master some different techniques you can then apply else where? All songs teach technique, but some are really good for learning specific ones.

3 Likes

Learn to fly by the Foo Fighters is a really simple yet enjoyable tune. Good confidence builder too.

https://youtu.be/L8HDRJzA0fo

4 Likes