Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

Speaking for myself, while I’ve clearly over indulged in my cravings for new guitars I’m also quite aware of my current limitations in learning and playing.

I’m still a beginner in almost every sense of the word, so at this point I’m simply curious as to what each instrument can do on its own with just a beginner amp, some tweaking of the on board electronics, a new set of strings, and/or a proper setup.

I realize much of my “sound” will come with time and may even include other peripherals, but that seems to be the only area where I’ve shown restraint and am waiting until I’m more proficient before I bankrupt myself with pedals and amps.

Part of the excitement also comes from knowing that every single instrument may take me down a different avenue, one may sound phenomenal with certain gear while another may be able to stand on its own just fine. I really look forward to exploring all of that, so as far as I’m concerned the more bass’s to do that with the better. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep, it varies by model, but the TRBX line definitely has a fast, thin neck. I happen to like that; some people don’t.

3 Likes

Totally agree @howard! Love my two TRBX’s, but the 174 has a thicker (more Fender-ish) neck probably due to it being (like Fender), a single piece neck. My 304 (as you already know) is a 5 piece neck and much thinner/faster than my 174. My Ibanez SR500E is an even thinner/faster neck than the TRBX304 and I LOVE playing that bass for any really quick change rock venue songs.

3 Likes

So true for me too @rickpalacios1973… Even when I played my guitars for years, I really only used a couple pedals. I do have several guitars though… I guess too that it all depends on what type music you enjoy playing. For me, classic rock, motown, and classic country are the genres that I love to play and as such really don’t need all of the pedals and gear, instead I have different guitars and bass’s set up that I can use in order to replicate the sounds I’m looking for.

I do wish I were more into the pedals and such since I do find it somewhat fascinating and intriguing, just not to the point of laying out any of my retirement pensions for it…

3 Likes

The fact that I have a spare bass preamp/DI now does not mean I have a problem, honest…

3 Likes

I feel the same way about all of my stringed instruments @joergkutter… Some of which I can no longer play due to the arthritis in my fingers and wrists, but still, I love just having them around. Each has a story to tell…

4 Likes

For a person like you @howard, who lives in a place that has “billions” of beautiful bass’s adorning the walls and walkways of music stores throughout the city and you still only have ONE (although a very good one) bass, i would say that the inly problem you “may” be suffering from is “Total Restraint Disorder” or TRD - pronounced “TuRD”…:joy::rofl:. There is no way I hell I could be tempted with all those instruments without having at least a dozen or so - all strung differently - all tuned differently - and all set up differently hanging around my house!!:rofl:

8 Likes

Perhaps we should ask @howard about the size of his Tokyo apartment?? Could be there is a clue to solving this particular riddle right there :thinking::crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hah, the apartment is definitely why I don’t have or want an amp. But at about 80 square meters it’s not so bad for size.

4 Likes

I was trying to give you an easy way out of not having to explain your TRD symptoms to @Lanny in any more detail… But, OK… :grin:

3 Likes

No, basically he’s right, it’s turd

4 Likes

TuRD or the cost of basses there.

I think if I lived within easy travel of that many bass retailers (let alone guitar stores) I may spend more time practicing so I could get better and justify buying more basses. I get overwhelmed when there are more than 10 different models on display - and that usually includes 4, 5, and 6 string versions of the same base model.

4 Likes

Yeah personally I’m a “bucket” person. All I really need is 1 of X. So for example the buckets I’ve filled are:

• P
  • J
  • Acoustic
  • Good ABS Case

The buckets I need to fill:

• Stingray
  • 5 String
  • Multi-Effects Pedal

The buckets I might fill at some point:

• Fretless
  • PJ
  • Small club gigable amp & cab

I also have an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird which was my first bass. I could sell it at a premium it seems these days based on Reverb. But at the same time, it was my first and while I don’t necessarily prescribe to the idea that the look of an instrument needs to match the style of music played. If I do keep it and play some sort of hard rock, I have that “bucket” filled as well.

6 Likes

For me, I only have one instrument at a time. I just like to keep things simple. I’d also rather spend a lot one one instrument than a bit on lots of instruments. I just like to have high quality and more unusual instruments.

8 Likes

@Lanny This is kinda why I asked this question. Just looking at the different choices that say, you and @howard make when it comes to getting gear.

Oh yes. I know this feeling well. I’ve got to want to touch it if it’s going to hold my attention.

5 Likes

Honestly in my case it’s just that I’m really happy with my current bass. I do ogle other basses from time to time, but mine is marriage material :slight_smile:

I am thinking about getting a second bass for BEAD though. There’s no convenient way to switch back and forth between BEAD and EADG with one bass, especially as BEAD will need some nut filing to work.

4 Likes

I’d love to have only one bass, and I did for some years : I had a Rockbass/Warwick that I sold to buy Greenie, and I did not had the SBV yet at this time. But it’s not really possible il you want different sounds and even more if you need different tunings (which means different string gauges and setup).

Greenie works well for EADG / DADG. The SBV works well from EADG to drop-C# , drop C is possible but that’s kind of extreme. I would need another bass for drop C, with a 110 low string. Also I have the other Precision (work in progress) for BEAD / AEAD and it should be fine.

Conclusion : I need another one for drop C :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

It’s actually Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)

An Acclamation is an oral vote - particularly, an enthusiastic shout of approval in vote form, but without a formal ballot.

1 Like

Well “Bless your heart” for catching that @Mark_D… Apparently I need to spend a little more time on the grammar and composition forum…

7 Likes

How did you like the Rockbass? I played with a RB corvette and it seemed really high quality, not the catastrophe that other forums would have you believe. I mean I am sure a MIG pro shop Warwick is better, but the Rockbass seemed fine to me, at like 20% of the price.

My only problem with it was it was a five string, plus a Warwick, which just made the neck feel huge. I am going to try a normal 4 the next time I see one.

3 Likes