Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

:laughing:

2 Likes

Cool! Sounds like a good opportunity to explore a 5’er - congrats! :grinning:

2 Likes

Mu Ha Ha Haaa! The GAS monster wins again! :smiling_imp:

Is it wrong that I enjoy seeing others cave to their own gear acquisition desires?

10 Likes

Very wrong. We’re ALL very wrong. :shushing_face:

5 Likes

Yeah 4kg for a full scale 5 string is not bad at all either, especially at that price point.

2 Likes

pics incoming in the show us your basses thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here’s a pic. I bet Laurent actually laughs out loud.

Basiclly there’s about 3x too much wire, tied up in a big ball in the middle of the access area. Also nice job on that lower pot, a couple ~2cm lenghts of bare wire poorly soldered to the top. Nice insulator tape join on the power lead too though I suspect that may be common if the preamp has short leads.

Eventually (after the warranty runs out) I will probably rip all this out and redo/replace it, maybe put in a nicer preamp too. It seems to work fine for now.

For comparison, here’s a pic I found online of a nicely wired MIG Streamer:

7 Likes

That must’ve been so much hassle to wire that you’d have thought they’d make it easier for themselves, even if they didn’t give a $h!t about doing a good job.

On a positive note; it’ll be lighter once you’ve sorted it! :grinning:

6 Likes

funny it’s not a one-piece PCB with everything on it, it would be cheaper and easier to wire ! (and way more reliable)

6 Likes

I have only two! A 4 string fretted J, and a 5 string fretless.
At this stage, there is no reason for me to think that is not enough to cover my needs.

Will it stay that way? I hope so. But…
“Man with one watch, always know correct time. Man with many watches, never sure.”
(I have 15 watches…)

“Fear the man with one gun, for he knows it well.”
(I have 5 match-grade air rifles, and one plinker…)

3 Likes

Yeah, but, really, it is not necessarily always about needs :joy:

6 Likes

I am acutely aware of this.

4 Likes

Hmmm… I look at that and I see more money for a bass fund. :rofl:

Never got into watches myself, but I know others that have and they can be a good investment. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was looking at Yamaha BB734A’s today. First thing I noticed, the black one is an amazing looking bass. I don’t usually like black guitars, but it’s Yamaha’s current Translucent Black, so it is this matte borderline grey off-black that just looks killer with a black pickguard:

But I wanted to mention it here because a weird thing happened. I tried two new ones in the store in a row, and both had electrical issues. The first one, in active mode the preamp was extremely weak - maybe quarter strength from what I was expecting - and apparently the knobs were installed backwards (the bass knob boosted/cut treble, etc). The tone pot did nothing in passive mode.

For the second one, the preamp was fine but the tone pot still did nothing in passive.

This is super weird. I can picture finding one bad bass but not two in a row in the same store, not with Yamaha (or Ibanez or other quality maker). This was a high end bass store, too.

Otherwise, nice bass. Great tone, some really nice features (6-bolt neck, through-body strings, etc). A little heavy but otherwise nice.

4 Likes

Uh oh Hooky’s got one.

Ha, Hooky’s son has one too, and plays a couple of his dad’s songs in the vid:

2 Likes

Interesting… I’ve always had a passion for this particular bass, and have always felt that both Yamaha and Ibanez both make quality instruments. Could be that their quality control is slipping?

2 Likes

This bass appears to be universally loved online. I have read nothing bad about it anywhere. It’s possible lightning just struck twice.

Active/passive P/J with great tone, great features, and excellent price (even new, it’s like $750) - a lot to like there.

One negative is that I would be getting this as a BEAD bass, and since it is through-body I would be concerned about string fit. However that does not appear to have stopped Erik Arko:

pretty sure that’s BEAD. edit: yep:

wow that Helix is nice too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I can see you got a real itch there, @howard. Would be sorry to see you leave the “5-string-club” again, but, hey, in the end, the important thing is what feels best for you.

It is weird to find two new Yamahas with some issues - that doesn’t seem to align with what you ought to and can expect of Yamaha…

All that aside, I am also getting very much hooked onto the idea of a PJ active/passive bass - seems to cover almost all tone options you might want to need :smile:

4 Likes

nothing a 2 minutes drill work couldn’t solve …

4 Likes

Maybe there’s an outbreak of another kind of virus going on? . . . :wink:

4 Likes