Music Confession / Question

When I’m at home or in the car I listen to podcasts. I don’t listen to music unless I’m playing an instrument or actively trying to learn a song. I almost feel guilty that I’m not more “in to music”, like I was as a teenager when I spent most of my time just finding new tunes or bands to listen to. Is it weird to only appreciate music I’m actively involved in versus just as a passive activity?

1 Like

I guess it depends on how deep your love of music is. Personally, when I’m driving and listening to satellite radio, whenever someone starts yacking, I change the station. I love music and that’s the only reason I even have a radio in the car. If you love listening to people talk, then so be it. Enjoy what you enjoy.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s terrible, no. What came to mind is, “all work and no play…(etc).” If listening to music constantly is more “work” than “play”, podcasts are definitely a respite.

2 Likes

This is the first time in my life that listening to music has been referred to as “work” (aside from those in the music business, of course).

1 Like

It did make me think though, maybe it’s the work (learning and practice) that I enjoy most about playing music.

2 Likes

In the car I listen to books, but everyday I listen to music at home, paying particular attention to suggestions by bands I’ve never heard. I find music inspires my own art.

4 Likes

I listen to music whenever I can. It’s definitely kept me sane at times

3 Likes

It just depends on the person.
I listen to Satellite radio but not always music.
I will listen at home but it’s varied. Classic rock, Blues ( my favorite) a little Mozart or Hayden when the mood hits.

When I was a teenager, wake up and BOOM, radio on.
Driving? music on.
LOL!!

-Doc

3 Likes

Whatever floats your boat, man. Don’t shame your own listening habits :slight_smile:

Personally I listen to music almost all the time in one way or another, but that’s just me. I like having soundtracks to my life.

4 Likes

I have a pretty bad syndrome too, i usually don’t know the words to the songs I play the bass part. When I listen I only here bass part, however i know most of the lyrics to songs that I play the drums.

3 Likes