Music Sheets not Tabs

Hi! Im Tatiana, I started playing bass like for 6 Months now and I haven´t found really good Websites to get Music Sheets, I saw they posted this one: Bass Guitar Tabs Downloads | Sheet Music Direct | Sheet Music Direct, but
all I see is the Tabs. I would like to have the notes, not just the tabs. So if someone has another suggestion i will be really happy about it.
Thanks!!
Tatiana

3 Likes

Im no help here but @PamPurrs might be able to offer some guidance.

2 Likes

Here’s a resource for bass transcriptions I found recently. I haven’t had a chance to check them out, but here’s the link.

4 Likes

Hi Tatiana :slight_smile:

Music from UltimateGuitar.com that’s type “official” or “Guitar Pro” can be shown/printed as notation or notation + tab. You can also make your own using software like guitar pro, you can enter the tab notation and have it display standard notation. It’s a good tool to be familiar with too.

4 Likes

Constantine’s transcriptions usually show both the score and the tab:
http://bassinstructor.ca/bass-notes-tab/

3 Likes

@Tatitruski Unfortunately, the web is replete with tab sheets, but sources of scores written in music notation are sparse. The best (and most plentiful) one I’ve found is MusicNotes. They seldom have bass scores, but they have lot’s of piano scores in grand staff. I just play from the bass portion of the score, but one octave higher.
Another favorite of mine is Chordify. Once I have the chords for the song, it’s fairly easy to create my own bassline.

3 Likes

Piano score bass clef part will not usually be the bassline of a song, unfortunately- it’s just the left hand component of the piano arrangement.

It will serve as a part to play bass for in that it won’t break the song, but it generally likely won’t be the bass part of the original song. Sometimes it might be though.

You’d be surprised at how close they come… close enough to be able to support the bass role of the song with minor adjustments.

4 Likes

Absolutely.

Pam, check out Tom Read Bass notation transcriptions, no tab. I poked around on his site a bit. His stuff looks pretty legit.

2 Likes

Constantine’s stuff looks really good. :+1:

4 Likes

“No tab” is music to my ears :musical_note: :ear:

I’ll check it out, thanks.

1 Like

How did you open the transcriptions?

2 Likes

His site is funky. Scroll way down, past the initial list of songs, and you’ll find an alphabetical set of buttons. Click on the letter button that starts the name of the song title you want. A whole list will open up with links to the transcription pages.

I also found you can do a search for a particular song and it will have a direct link to the transcription.

Yeah, his site’s information architecture could use some pro help.

The guy does seem to do good transcription work, though.

1 Like

Ok thanks. It’s pretty clunky but I got to it eventually.

2 Likes

Yeah, the poor guy has his heart in the right place. I suspect he’s cobbled the site together himself.

It took me a bit to suss out where the transcriptions were stashed. :mag:

1 Like

I took a :eyes: at some of Tom’s transcriptions and they appear to be very well done. Nice find @MikeC !

2 Likes

:+1:

The dude is apparently a legit session bass player, and his stuff seems to reflect professionalism.

1 Like

Thank you all!!! :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I meant by “it will serve…”. It’s not going to break the song and it will be a nice accompaniment for the melody.

But it’s usually not going to be the part of the song played by bass guitar, for most genres. Sometimes it is, but usually not.

So it depends on what you’re looking for in the sheet music. If it’s just some notes to play that will sound good with the melody, you can use a piano score for that (after transcribing it up an octave, like you mentioned). If you’re looking for the actual bassline of a song, usually you’ll have to keep looking.

2 Likes