Musical notation

That would be a low D which requires a 5 string or a 4 string tuned to BEAD

3 Likes

Or just tuned to DADG. And then there are also mechanical solutions that let you tune the lowest string from E to D ā€œon the flyā€.

4 Likes

Joe,
Thank you as well.
By your graphics, you show me that note placement (on the staff) correlates to Fret/octave. But why show a ā€œDā€ two spaces below the staff when my 4 stringer CANā€™T reach that pitch? I realize that a ā€œDā€ is a ā€œDā€. But an open ā€œDā€ (while the same note) sounds different than a ā€œDā€ on the 19th fret of the ā€œGā€ string.

3 Likes

Tthank you Pam. thatā€™s what I was also thinking. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s because they are not the ā€œsameā€ D :smile:

The notation two below the staff is D2, while the one high up on the G string is D5 (here, the number refers to which octave they belong to - I think it comes from the piano; in this system A4 is the note which has a frequency of 440 Hz).

Anywayā€¦ many songs require you to play that low D (D2) and, yes, you are right, it is not available on your 4-string in standard tuning. Therefore, you can either ignore this and play it an octave up (i.e., on the fifth fret of the A string) or tune your ā€œE-stringā€ to D. The former approach can sound OK, but probably doesnā€™t in most cases. Thus, tuning from E to D is the only optionā€¦ but, of course, then you need to remember that you have to fret anything else you play on that string differently than you normally would, i.e., a G is now on the 5th fret and so onā€¦

I have personally not dabbled with this so-called drop-D tuning (I have a five-string :grin:), but I know a lot of other BassBuzzers use alternate tunings all the time. If nothing else, it is good brain gymnastics, I guess :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you again Joe and you as well Pam. Youā€™ve answered my question. I wasnā€™t aware of the D-1, D-5 thing. Makes sense to me. I am now no longer confused. THANK YOU!!!

4 Likes

This is one of the reasons I play 5 string. That B string comes in handy when I need it.

3 Likes

Itā€™s in Drop D tuning. Tune your E string down to D and you can play it :slight_smile:

A lot of music in certain styles is in drop D.

2 Likes

Yup :wink:

So, Sam @Trib: if you want someone to get notified about a reply when not directly answering one of their posts, you need to use the handles (like I just did)!

Also: @PamPurrs is indeed Pam, but I am not a Joe :smile: I know, it is confusing, but my first name includes the r and the g

And, finally, before @eric.kiser finds out: why donā€™t you go over to the Introduce Yourself thread and, uhm, introduce yourself!?! :smile:

4 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

I hope you saw my tongue being firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote that, Eric!? :smile:

You are, in many ways, the calm center in this - more often than not - whirlwind of a forum with its participants pulling each othersā€™ legs and perpetually straying from the original topic of a thread! You are often the one pulling us back on track, bringing order to the chaos, and reminding people of some basic rules of the game in here! And a big thanks for that!!!

Actually, while I am at it (and this is way overdue anyway): you are also the one who finds ways to answer in a kind and curious fashion to posts that make absolutely no sense at all! Andā€¦ you are the king of the likes - always a smile and a heart for everyone!!

5 Likes

Oh yes. It actually made me laugh out loud.

Thanks Joerg. I appreciate it. Butā€¦ Umā€¦ Youā€™ve gone off topic. :rofl:

In all seriousness, Thank you. Itā€™s always nice to hear your efforts are appreciated.

5 Likes

Not only that, but I probably also ā€œburiedā€ this praise in here, seeing that the average Buzzer is unlikely to venture into a thread with that topic :joy: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

You might want to read along here, @Trib (If you havenā€™t seen this yet yourself):

3 Likes

Hey Joerg,
Thanks for looking out. But i think I will stick by the standard EADG. Iā€™m a bit ā€œOld Schoolā€ and a firm believer that ā€œIf it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it.ā€ Thank you again. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I see a 5 string in your future :smile_cat:8bc4a51da4d23bfea0c1ff476f75da96b9f5e229071d0523dc6c3adc61afcf40.0

2 Likes

Only if you want itā€¦ Embrace the ā€œBā€ā€¦the B is calling ā€¦really low so maybe you canā€™t hear itā€¦till you get a 5 string.

3 Likes

Morning Pam, If I do, (get a 5-string) youā€™ll be the first to know. :rofl:

3 Likes

Well, itā€™s no secret around here that I am a big fan of the fiver :guitar: Iā€™ve been playing on 5 string almost from the day I started learning bass. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been on a 4 stringer since day one. W/tape wound strings. :slight_smile:

3 Likes