Musicman vs Sterling Stingray

I do like the look, especially to complete the Stingray look, but I have never disliked covered pick ups because of the cover.
I have always thought the covers don’t look as good, but its not a huge selling point on me either way, if I wanted the pick up, coved poles is not a big buying / selling point.

I would have to be so distraught by a decision, torn between two pick ups (or basses) not being able to decide between the two, and be ready to pull out a coin to flip…
then I would stop
Turn, and say,
“Uncoverd, not stirred”
and be done with it.

3 Likes

It depends on the bass I guess. I have a Fender American deluxe precision and w American precision neck one fretted and another is a Tony Franklin neck. The body has a p pickup and double jazz at the bridge. No one is making double jazz pickups anymore. Only Delano make one an they are sealed. I like Delano but I’m planning for a traditional-ish look. I would have been a done deal I know.

2 Likes

I like half covers :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I can add my - totally non professional and super beginner - 2c.

After playing for a couple of months my brother’s Yamaha bass, I decided to gift myself a bass for my 40th birthday. I tried basically all of the basses in my local music store (great place, a sort of heaven for guitar/basses, one can really get lost daydreaming there!)

In the end my choice was between the Ray 4, the Sterling Stingray and one head-less Ibanez which was very cool (and whose name eludes me). After long test sessions… I went for the Sterling Stingray and I couldn’t be happier. It sounds (to my ears) and it looks (to my eyes) amazing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If there aren’t pictures it didn’t happen. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Done! You can find those here:

Now can we agree that it did happen? (luckily you asked for pics and not for a sample of my musical skills… that would have been something which I am still not ready to share with the world! :smiley: )

3 Likes

A picture is worth a thousand words, and that is a beauty. Congratulations @f.guerrieri

5 Likes

Three pictures… 3k words! That’s a sizeable essay then :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Make that a 3300 because a Ray34 turns things up to 11, congrats

5 Likes

That is beautiful!

4 Likes

Beautiful looking Ray @f.guerrieri !

4 Likes

You actually got a Ray34, which is just about as good as the US made Stingrays, you picked a hell of an instrument, congratulations, I am happy you are digging it, I am a huge stingray fan.

4 Likes

Thanks! to celebrate this, I am playing it right now… I am on my journey to the 50 songs :slight_smile:

6 Likes