Musicman vs Sterling Stingray

I do like the look, especially to complete the Stingray look, but I have never disliked covered pick ups because of the cover.
I have always thought the covers don’t look as good, but its not a huge selling point on me either way, if I wanted the pick up, coved poles is not a big buying / selling point.

I would have to be so distraught by a decision, torn between two pick ups (or basses) not being able to decide between the two, and be ready to pull out a coin to flip…
then I would stop
Turn, and say,
“Uncoverd, not stirred”
and be done with it.

3 Likes

It depends on the bass I guess. I have a Fender American deluxe precision and w American precision neck one fretted and another is a Tony Franklin neck. The body has a p pickup and double jazz at the bridge. No one is making double jazz pickups anymore. Only Delano make one an they are sealed. I like Delano but I’m planning for a traditional-ish look. I would have been a done deal I know.

2 Likes

I like half covers :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I can add my - totally non professional and super beginner - 2c.

After playing for a couple of months my brother’s Yamaha bass, I decided to gift myself a bass for my 40th birthday. I tried basically all of the basses in my local music store (great place, a sort of heaven for guitar/basses, one can really get lost daydreaming there!)

In the end my choice was between the Ray 4, the Sterling Stingray and one head-less Ibanez which was very cool (and whose name eludes me). After long test sessions… I went for the Sterling Stingray and I couldn’t be happier. It sounds (to my ears) and it looks (to my eyes) amazing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If there aren’t pictures it didn’t happen. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Done! You can find those here:

Now can we agree that it did happen? (luckily you asked for pics and not for a sample of my musical skills… that would have been something which I am still not ready to share with the world! :smiley: )

3 Likes

A picture is worth a thousand words, and that is a beauty. Congratulations @f.guerrieri

5 Likes

Three pictures… 3k words! That’s a sizeable essay then :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Make that a 3300 because a Ray34 turns things up to 11, congrats

5 Likes

That is beautiful!

4 Likes

Beautiful looking Ray @f.guerrieri !

4 Likes

You actually got a Ray34, which is just about as good as the US made Stingrays, you picked a hell of an instrument, congratulations, I am happy you are digging it, I am a huge stingray fan.

4 Likes

Thanks! to celebrate this, I am playing it right now… I am on my journey to the 50 songs :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I love mine😀

2 Likes

I own one of each, they both

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I never liked the Sterling Stingray pickguard shape, which is why I never considered that bass for purchase in the first place, despite everybody talking wonders about it. I simply don’t feel like picking up such a bass and playing it.

However, do you think it would be possible to remove it altogether, or replace it with something same shape but less dull and hideous?

Also, would you recommend changing the pickups on it?

2 Likes

lol shots fired

1 Like

lol. I do realize this is like opening a can of worms and for sure I mean no offense or disrespect to anyone. I just conveyed my honest feelings about that pickguard and the body shape, which I don’t like much.

3 Likes

Nope it’s all good, I just found it funny :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They do sound awesome, though. But what is the DarkRay exactly?

1 Like