Muting with a pick

I have two sets of the Rombo picks. Those are doing things a bit differently: Instead of the mostly common “one thickness throughout the whole of the pick and the same texture for the whole of the pick” they use different thicknesses throughout the pick and different textures. Some of them have a super-polished and pointy area for hitting the string and a rough grip area.

It might be just a feeling and I am cheating myself, but it seems that the polished point just slides better accross the strings, and I realized it is not just the thickness of a pick, but also the shape, how pointy it is.

I think there is a lot of unrealized potential in pick shapes. Kinda like surf boards, where you might think: Well, a surf board is a surf board, how much can the shape or the fins matter? But it is a huge deal.

The downside of how many picks I have on my desk: I am never quite sure which one I like best, They all have their up- and downsides.

1 Like

I have a bunch of different types of picks; no Rombos but I do have some Raptors. In the end, out of all I have tried, I just like the Dunlop Tortex and Ultex picks the best, and in a relatively normal thickness - 0.88-1.14 for bass.

I am probably about 90% pick now though, I only fingerstyle for fun or messing around.

1 Like

I can defiantly relate to this.
Point in hand, I used to get surfboards shaped for Huntington Beach Pier while I was a kid, and that was good, cuz although the iconic HB Pier is well known break, it is very unique.
As I grew and started messing with other boards, I noticed how much betterer they all were in any break other then HB Pier, including HB Cliffs and HB / Newport Beach River Jettys.
and especially down the Balboa peninsula, the street jetty and blacks and the point, they are all great with anything but a board shaped for the HB pier, and all those boards didn’t compare when at the HB Pier.
So as I grew up and learned, I knew to tell shapers where I mainly wanted to surf, or where I was going to be using this particular board most, and let their knowledge of suffer and shaping shine.

IDK how that relates back to bass picks, but maybe, I should still search for a pick that I like best on Bass, cuz the ones I used to use for guitar just don’t cut it for me overall.

2 Likes