Muting with a pick

discuss. :thinking:

It’s harder?

Seriously, I think it comes down to getting that fretting hand to mute properly Vs relying on the plucking fingers which I so most certainly do now.
Putting off learning this right now as I have too many other things to sort out on the list but know I’ll get to it.

5 Likes

yeah it’s not discussed much. the left hand is the same. but there’s so much difference with the right, none of the standard techniques would work. it seems the only option is pressing the pinky side of the picking hand into the strings. and… is that it?

3 Likes

You could use left hand muting instead, look at Rocco Prestia’s technique that he used to use.

4 Likes

Left hand (assuming you mean fret hand) is way different for me between plucking and picking. I put pretty much 100% of muting responsibility on my fretting hand while picking, unless I’m playing something palm-muted.

3 Likes

You have to be a lot more on the ball with your left hand muting. Right hand, yeah you can use various parts of your palm a bit (or a bunch, depending on what you’re playing).

5 Likes

Don’t. Just slap.
Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

I actually use the pinky side of my (right) palm pretty well on everything except an open E. It’s a very light touch – just stops the string’s vibration. The only practice exercise is I guess to start strumming and slowly lower your palm’s angle until it kills the sound just enough. If I have to play an open E, it’s much the same with a little more pressure and a lot more crying. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

yeah I get the feeling it makes your left hand technique much better.

5 Likes

Yep if you want to improve left hand muting fast, picking is a good way to go :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I only recently started playing with a pick, and oddly, muting hasn’t even entered my mind. Maybe I just do it naturally and subconsciously (shrug) I don’t know.
I keep my action quite low, and my fretting fingers never elevate very far above the strings, so maybe I’m just naturally muting without realizing it. IDK.
I reviewed my latest cover that I posted in the “Post your Covers” thread (Psycho Killer) and watched and listened for any string ringing, and didn’t detect any. I suppose I’m palm muting and fretting finger muting without realizing it.

5 Likes

It’s only really an issue on open strings (if you already know how to left-hand mute fretted strings properly, which you do by now I am sure).

3 Likes

I was just learning a couple songs with a Pick, and the palm (really heal of my palm) muting seems sort of natural since I used it when I played guitar many moons ago.
I just need a thinner pick for these big ole fat strings

3 Likes

What gauge are you using now? I’ve tried lots, but 2.0 seems to be my sweet spot.

P.S. I just ordered a six pack of Stubby 1.0 just to give that gauge a try. I really love the Stubby 2.0 I’ve been using.

2 Likes

I have soem .06 (1.5mm) picks in a box somewhere, and the other ones I had was more for the novelty, they are Lemmy black Motorhead picks that came in a collectable tin. But they are either 2.5mm (.09) or .1".
I really want to get a 1.0mm pick at most. I find you can play lighter and faster this way.

1 Like

I’ve got a bunch of 1.0 mm and 1.17 picks that I’ve tried (I’ve accumulated dozens of different picks) and I just seem to like the Stubby 2.0 the best. As I mentioned in a previous comment, I ordered a six pack of Stubby 1.0 which I should have tomorrow. I’ll give them a go. I really do like the Stubbys!

2 Likes

I have not tried them before, but I like the shape, and the indent which I would think is to prevent them from slipping so people don’t lose so many picks when playing shows??
I may give some a try if I get a chance.

I still prefer finger playing, but there are some songs i want to play that really need a pick, they are just too fast for finger plucking, or the song doesn’t sound right without the pick tone.

1 Like

I may go back and forth, but for now I think I’m going to focus on pick playing. I find that I can play every song I know just as well or better with a pick than I can with plucking.
And as a side benefit, I’m starting to grow my fingernails back. I am so tired of having to file the nails on my plucking hand down to the nub all the time.

2 Likes

Thats awesome, I am glad you are enjoying your picks. I intend to practice, enough to be proficient at it, at least. I could change over, or not, who knows, there are no set rules.

2 Likes

I am throwing my 5 cents in here
Since going back to a pick and yes its a 1mm, I finding it more precision when doing the exercises and find it easier to keep up then trying to pluck. Plus all I really have to worry about is my fretting hand now.

2 Likes

I still prefer playing with my fingers, and I can play more accurately with sped that way then with a pick, but I am sure that is practice, but there are a few things I heard from some professional players (al be it, mostly guitar players) that seem to make a little sense to help with a pick.

Most recently from Scott Ian of Anthrax, I saw an interview where they asked him about why he scratched / roughed up his picks, like rub them on concrete or sand paper, etc… and I mean on the body, both sides, not the edges, and he responded that it was an od trick that Dimebag taught him and he has sone it ever since. I guess at fast speed it kind of helps with grip, andI can see it working out that way, plus, if Dimebag did it, it must be right.

second, this came from Satchel of all people (Steel Panther) and he files his pick to a sharper point, and demonstrated how easier it is to be accurate at fast picking speeds with the pointy picks vs with rounded off ones.
This one I feel would apply more to guitar then bass strings, but its worth a shot I suppose.

3 Likes