My B2B Before Christmas Challenge

Oh, gosh yes! I actually did think about it! I’m going to read up now.

2 Likes

@joergkutter read up on Leo Fender. And now I know! Did SX ever get sued for using Fender’s specs? I couldn’t find jack on SX, even from their own site.

2 Likes

Great!

I am guessing there is lots there that never gets to see the light of day… Anyway, the entirety of Leo Fender’s story is quite long, but I guess the main point was to get you up to speed on how the Precision and later the Jazz came about :smile:

3 Likes

Sad how he was diagnosed with a terminal illness, gave up all his rights and then was cured!

2 Likes

Was it terminal??? Hm, didn’t know that…

2 Likes

WOW!!! Well done Hannah. I am so proud of you.

Great work

2 Likes

@HannahWalker I don’t know the legalities of it all but it seems like anybody can get away with copying the body design and neck but the shape of the Fender headstock is out of bounds. A lot of headstocks look similar but have some variation on the design that keeps them from being sued.

Edit: And yes, the way he lost Fender was kind of sad.

3 Likes

@HannahWalker With your music background, do you think it would benefit you going back through the course again? Or do you think you have already gotten out of it what you wanted and plan to move on to finding other stuff to play and practice?

2 Likes

@eric.kiser I have a weak spot in my ability to play major scales! I can play along with tabs and do great! I know scales are involved in all these tabs, but I do need to be able to nail scales, and have memorized more notes, so I will go back and do that whole module again. I feel I came in to the course with a solid knowledge of music except bass clef. I can sight-read treble clef when I am singing. I listened and played every B2B lesson and workout to the end. I learned and gained real understanding so much more by taking full advantage of B2B. If you paid attention in class, you probably don’t need to review, otherwise review where you feel weak. No end to learning, though! I feel good knowing Josh will be back, and all his YouTube vids are good. I enjoy YouTube Cifra Club, even though it is in Portuguese it is very easy to follow for more instruction on full bass lines.

3 Likes

I played deep into the night last night. My hub asked me if I knew the Sultans of Swing because he thought he’d like to do his own version. So I was diverted from Comfortably Numb to Sultans. I made good progress on Money, but I’m still struggling getting from second fret to fifth. I do notice that daily practice and rest resolve those issues in swift order, so I am not in the least discouraged. I love the little finger roll on the 4th frets of the D and G strings. Fun to do.

5 Likes

When you get famous and play stadiums, just remember your old buddies from B2B, @HannahWalker :grin:(some backstage passes would be cool!)

Merry Christmas!

4 Likes

Just like that, huh? :laughing: That’s one of my favourite songs, and I believe an important one in the history of pop music, but what I keep finding is that there are a lot of parts to it and I simply can’t memorise them all. Then again I has mostly tried to learn it before I could comfortably play through a whole song, or I was in the middle of the course so a little distracted.

4 Likes

You gotta chill and not over-think it. It’s scales basically. The rhythm is very swift, I do say! @PeteP

4 Likes

Oh, I think we ought to do some kind of B2B Bass-off, all of us! Talent scouts, come and get us!

4 Likes

That sums up so much of bass playing, doesn’t it. Well maybe the stuff I like to play - possibly because it’s easier to remember.

4 Likes

I know it sounds pretty badass, right!?

“Quantum mechanics, you say!? Well, it’s equations basically!”

:crazy_face:

5 Likes