My Band Broke Up

Well, more like what’s left of my band, as we’d go through guitar players and drummers so much, due to the personality “quirks” of the band leader. I had to draw the line here too last week, I mean, I actually get along well with volatile artistic personalities and all, but the days of being on a learning curve, and paying dues to be part of a project are over for me.

I really know why ads for musicians say things like “reliable, no drama/drugs, have own gear, transportation, phone”, lol, I can tick those boxes, but it does wear thin after awhile if bandmates can’t. But I knew this going into it, so no surprise, I knew my time here was limited.

On the bright side, what a great time! So much to learn, to experience, and to grow as a musician. And to have a first band where we just had fun. Maybe that’s why it feels a little like heartbreak :broken_heart: on Valentine’s Day too, haha! They did let me be the bass player, even though I was new, and totally sucked, so I will always appreciate that. :heart:

Just wanted to post, this forum is kind of a blog for me sometimes! I bounce back fast, although haven’t touched my bass all week, I just don’t feel like it. Kind of more like apathy than feeling down though. Maybe need a break from it. Just gonna listen to music for awhile, not play.

But wouldn’t trade that experience for the world!!

14 Likes

Aww man. Well look at it this way, you got the full band experience on your first try :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Aw, dang. Sorry (but, from the details, not sorry?) to hear it, @Vik.
Your quote above though - that’s my takeaway from every band breakup / parting of ways. You gotta do what’s right for you.

I bet there are plenty of break up stories in this forum… and y’all know how much I love a good story…

5 Likes

I wish I had one, but mine is boring… after college we all just kind of lamed out. Except my friend that kept it going on his own. He and I are slowly passing things back and forth now though, super fun.

Drama, though - yeah we had some of that. Mostly involving bandmates and girlfriends of course. We had one very temporary bad member as well but he only lasted one gig. Talked a big game and then total lockup once he got in front of people.

5 Likes

This sounds like it may be a good thing in the long run as I can tell it was stressing you out a bit from your post.

And… bass players are always in demand! I don’t think it will take you long to find another band if that’s what you want to happen.

4 Likes

Sad that it’s over - glad that it happened.

I want to say “sorry”, but it sounds like you got what you wanted and pretty much expected, and a whole lot of experience in the mix, so as a first band it sounds like a success. Also on the positive side, you got along with more of the guys who didn’t hang around so you already have a little black book in the making and who knows what’ll come out of that - especially now that they know you’re a low hassle kinda guy who can hold down the low end without any diva demands etc.

4 Likes

oh @Vik , sorry to read that. but, yeah, it always happens. I’d even say it’s a part of the experience of playing in this kind (non-pro) of band. it’s fun but very often short-lived.

I must say that this part is what makes me happy to not be in a band right now. I’m not in the mood to invest a lot of time for something fragile and volatile that can break in a few months.

Well at this point I think it’s totally OK if you take a little break with your bass playing, and maybe take the chance to ear more music and define a bit more precisely what you would like to play in your next musical project ?

6 Likes

Bummer, man! But… also so rock’n’roll, right!?!

I am sure you have learned a lot from this experience (more than one ever can learn from just reading about it); that is all stuff you can take with you to the next band! Because, I am sure you are going to find another one soon - after all, you know you can do it, you know better how to make it work (hopefully), and you’ve tasted blood/sweet manna and want more :grin:

Best of all, you got to gig! I mean, I played in a garage band for ten years or so, and while it was great fun, we only had two or three gigs! To get gigging experience under your belt is so valuable!

So, pick up that axe and get some chopping and shredding down :grin:

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m happy with my situation. I get together with a guitarist and a drummer, of similar skill level to me, for two hours every two weeks. We just mess around, but it is fun and I learn so much from having to think on my feet. We want to write some songs eventually, but no-one is rushing into anything.

5 Likes

Makes sense… but the risk is that you might wait forever for the “perfect project/band”…

5 Likes

no, it’s just not the right time for this. for now I’m fine with noodling and studio things.

5 Likes

@Vik, Ditto exactly what @howard said above . . .

You did really well getting into it so soon after the B2B course :+1:

Cheers, Joe

7 Likes

Fist bumps :fist: all around, the perspective on this is appreciated! I would totally start my next band with some of ya’ll, if only we were not all bass players :rofl:! Let’s call it Crew Bassbuzz or something like that if we do!

5 Likes

Well, what is the most number of bassists in a single band? We could break a record and still have enough spread across skills and even number of strings.

4 Likes

Things like this can work…

Ok… not bass, but you get the idea… :upside_down_face:

Another classic cello one… but only two…

4 Likes

Didn’t we have the Christmas/We are the World video with all these internet bass “celebrities” a little while ago?? But, yeah, we could potentially break the record… Guiness anyone (nah, not the beer)?? :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I kept waiting for Brian Johnson to come sliding out on stage . . . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

SMV and Freebass each have three, but maybe supergroups don’t count?

3 Likes

:partying_face:

:sob:

5 Likes

You had a great experience, and you’re still a young man. You have so much opportunity ahead of you. I’m happy you are able to move on to better things.

5 Likes