My first BASS and new adventure

Hi,
I am new here and to bass. I bought this bass solely based on its looks and I intend to learn how to play it. I normally play guitar so this will be my new adventure :slightly_smiling_face: All I know this is mid 1960’s Vega P-bass, wonder if anyone knows anything about them?

23 Likes

@JoLa Welcome to BassBuzz!

There isn’t much information to find. Vega (Vega Company - Wikipedia) was sold to the Martin Guitar Company in the 1970’s and weren’t particularly known for their electric basses. They were, primarily, an acoustic instrument company started in 1881.

Regardless, that’s a beautiful bass and looks in amazing condition for a 60 year old instrument. Did you get it from an individual or store?

6 Likes

Congrats. Gorgeous 5 piece neck through. Looks like a real players’ bass.

6 Likes

Congrats and welcome! Enjoy your bass journey!

6 Likes

Beautiful bass from that time. No excuse now. Let it rip!

5 Likes

Thank you, I bought it through OfferUp from a local pro bass player.

7 Likes

Congratulations on a lovely looking bass and welcome to the forum

6 Likes

Welcome to the world of bass.
There’s so much to learn, to explore, to buy…

7 Likes

great adventures ahead; enjoy

6 Likes

@JoLa That’s a beautiful instrument, enjoy the bass journey.
I’m intrigued by the controls for a split p pickup. Volume, tone and output jack is standard but it looks like you also have a switch. What does it do ?
My only guess is series/parallel for each half of the pickup.

5 Likes

And buy, and buy, and buy…

8 Likes

6 Likes

@JoLa just a heads up in case you haven’t figured it out from some of the comments here, we’re all enablers here so if you ever hope anyone here will talk you out of buying something… That ain’t gonna happen unless it’s in the line of “don’t buy that, get this one instead”

7 Likes

Or…

Don’t buy it (because I want it).

7 Likes

You know, that’s a good question …:thinking: Your guess is probably right, there is a minimal change of tone when I toggle between the two positions but I never paid attention to that, lol

2 Likes

Well then I think I fit right in, haha! I can’t even play bass yet and I’m already thinking about another one :upside_down_face: :laughing:

7 Likes

Then the G.A.S thread is right up your alley :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah, Vega was a major producer of banjos. Their Whyte Laydie model with its “electric” tone ring set an industry standard for open back banjos back in the day and is still being replicated and built upon even now. In fact, Pete Seeger’s banjo was a long-neck Vega.

Electric basses, though… I didn’t know Vega made those. But it’s a neat looking instrument.

3 Likes

Cool axe. Have fun!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard. Definitely a lovely looking bass to get started with. I’ve been learnging guitar for a bit and decided to include bass as well. Don’t play either as much as I should, but you definitely carry knowledge between the two instruments.

4 Likes