My First Pedalboard!

I grabbed a used Donner DB-5 pedalboard in good shape and with extra velcro and case for $35. I couldn’t realistically make my own for less than that so I don’t feel too bad about that. Should get here next week.

3 Likes

Yep it cleaned things up nicely.

Needs some cable ties underneath still though.

4 Likes

beware of the jacks, I’m not sure but it seems that a jack is touching the other pedal (between the Big Muff and the compressor) : this can cause a ground loop !

otherwise it looks pretty neat, and you still have some room left for future improvements :sunglasses:

4 Likes

good advice, thanks!

2 Likes

No, i didn’t. I am challenged when it comes to digital displays and such. I really wanted to stick to simple knobs that are very intuitive and easy to adjust on the fly.

1 Like

Since I remade my soundcloud acct I can post a demo now. Repeating 4 bars of everyone’s favorite lesson. The order is:

clean bass
bass + compressor (left on for the rest of these)
BDI21 overdriving (sounds awesome!)
bass clone chorus (very light, I had it set shallow for use with the muff)
big muff
muff + chorus
muff + chorus + BDI21
muff + chorus + BDI21 overdriving

Here’s the Compressor and Big Muff plus a little deeper chorus:

4 Likes

I prefer the tone with the compressor and BDI21. what a surprise … :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah it sounds really good!

2 Likes

Yeah I want a compressor but not sure which one to get.
I have the BD121

3 Likes

There are literally hundreds to choose from. Luckily there is also this:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

His reviews are great.

Also, the Zoom compressor models sounded quite good to me.

2 Likes

I think Behringer must do a copy of the Boss compressors. I had a Boss CS-2 and it’s pretty good, maybe a good point to start.

2 Likes

Yeah I think they do. I was keeping my eye open for a Milk Box too.

Also, a vast number of comps are simply clones (some with added features) of the MXR Dyna Comp; at least half of those on the Ovnilab page, I would estimate.

1 Like

you might remember that’s the one I have. well I don’t have only this one :grin: but it’s my all-time favorite compressor if we speak about an affordable pedal-sized unit.

the downside is that the controls are a bit weird, and for this reason I would not recommend it to a beginner. but for you @howard, it should be perfectly fine :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah I was looking for one based on your recommendation. They are pretty highly regarded too.

3 Likes

I didn’t knew that but I’m not very surprised !

1 Like

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/milkbox.shtml

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@howard Very cool! Thanks for putting this together. I really like hearing these examples.
muff + chorus + BDI21 overdriving :+1:
Compressor and Big Muff plus a little deeper chorus :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I just noticed the ground lift switch on my BDI21 is wired backwards, lol. Nice work Uli.

Not complaining, that pedal is the best bargain ever. Sounds awesome.

2 Likes

A couple major updates to my pedalboard:

I decided I wanted a dedicated drum machine outside of the DAW. I was shocked to find that Alesis was still making the SR-16. I wanted one of those bad in 1990. So I almost bought one, but only problem is it still kind of sounds like 1990 :slight_smile:

So I went looking and sure enough, Zoom came through once again. I love this thing already. It’s kind of Zoom’s more modern sounding take on the SR-16 but IMO is way, way better. Found it used for $40.

The new red pedal is a TC Electronic Nether octaver. It’s basically a nice clone of the Boss OC-2. As you would expect from an analog octaver, it sounds awesome but tracks kind of poorly. But for my use it’s great. I don’t recommend it if you want a nice, musical sounding octaver though - get one of the +1/-1 octave ones instead. Blending in the second lower octave sounds like gurgling glitchy liquid evil. I love it :slight_smile:

Now I just need reverb and I have basically everything I need for now.

2 Likes

I have an old OC-2 , it sounds great but the tracking is a nightmare.

2 Likes