My First Pedalboard!

most pedals will have a phase shift of 0° or 180° , at least if we’re talking about classic overdrive and distorsion effects. I remember a fuzz circuit with an octave-up and a phase shift of 90°, but that’s really unusual.

1 Like

Envelope filters are interesting because I could see them working well before and after distortion. But they really are sensitive to and change with dynamics so I would try it before the distortion first myself. Think of it like a wah pedal in that regard.

2 Likes

Yeah after I posted that I did some more research and you’re right, envelope filter needs the uncompressed dynamics to work as intended. Though I’m sure there’s some fun sounds placing it after distortion. Looking forward to trying it out.

3 Likes

Yeah, the modulo being, what they would do to distortion could sound killer :slight_smile:

Hi Guys,

I don’t have a pedalboard, and at my level of skill (Lesson 54) there ain’t no kill like overkill. However, I did just buy the Zoom B1 Four multi-effect pedal box. It’s got everything I could need as a basement bassist, and I don’t plant to gig so no worries there.

It’s got decent reviews on Scamazon and on YT, and so far after a few days I’m pleased. Tuner, compressor, overdrive and beats all built in, plus a bunch of other things I’ll never use too :smiley:

6 Likes

yep the Zoom boxes are fantastic bang for the buck. Lots of us have had them (or still do :slight_smile:)

5 Likes

You done good.

you did yourself a huge favor. you are right, it is all you would ever need, and could get buy in many if not most situations with it, even gigging live.
And if you decide to do a pedal board, some day, because, like many here, you decide to separate sounds a little further and find elements that are not so great in the Zoom, and you want to improve upon (for instance, the Zoom, IMHO does not have great OD or Fuzz) and you may want something that it can’t offer, or just because it can be very fun to do.
well
the Zoom box is a great way to learn about each type of effect individually and when chaining them by putting it in Stomp mode and singling out effects, and then creating a chain of your own. You get a chance to change the order around and play with how things sound when you feed one into the other, or the other into the one, etc…
ot of all the FX I have ever spent money on, which is quite a bit, it is possibly the most valuable $80 I spent, just in the education I received out of it.

The compressors are actually really good too. there are like 3-4 loaded on it, which are modeled after high quality, famous, compressors, including like $2000 rack mount systems. now of course, it won’t be the same as the real deal, but it works similar and is not a bad option. I used the MS-60B for a compressor for a while before I could find the ones that I bought for my board, and I have 4 compressors, which I love them all. But I created 5 patches of each different compressor and used the Zoom Stomp Pedal for a while just as the stand alone compressor.
So, just act like you knew exactly what you were doing when you bought that B1-Four, cuz you made a great buy.

3 Likes

Good to know! I was thinking of DSP pedals when I wrote that, but was too lazy to actually investigate. Just spot checking it looks like the DSP latencies I found are too short to care about for bass crossover wavelengths.

1 Like

yeah, I don’t think it will be a problem.

1 Like

gigantic changes to my pedal board today. out goes all this:

2 Likes

and in comes the plethora X5.

I’ve only been messing with it for a few minutes, but it seems like it will work out fine. the hof chorus and subnup sounds exactly like my standalone ones. I was worried about getting rid of the Spectracomp because I love it and the x5 doesn’t have it. but I have to admit the hypergravity compression sounds great. will have to see what funk sounds I can dial up to replace the spectrum. so at this point, the only real “effects” I have is 2 dirt pedals and the X5.

6 Likes

Wow
I am not surprised at all to see you selling and replacing, that is the norm.
but
I was shocked to see the Spectrum Envelope filter go, I mean, Source Audio 1 pedals are AWESOME.

Is there anything in the TC line up that comes close to the envelope filter? maybe the phaser can be used a little like one, or possibly the flanger, but they don’t have a straight up filter do they? or am i missing something, did they release one.?

1 Like

Funny thing.
I just snapped some pictures of some things I am putting on Offer Up today, and the MS-60B is on my list as well.

Have you sold them, or just put them on your reverb shop?
If you still have the filter, I might want to talk to you, see if we can work a trade.

1 Like

Sold almost everything, down to the tuner, EBS and Carl Martin. Probably gonna list the valvedrive, compressor, board and power supply this weekend. Keeping the tuner though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question about the Plethora.

For each slot, you can designate it as a pedal. I would guess you could double up, like have two instances of HOF running, and run both at the same time to reverb into reverb. (not that I want to), just assume you could.
So
the real question
once you load tone print to a slot, like if you pick a HOF toneprint and send it to one slot, that slot will be your reverb, or HOF pedal.
Can you send more HOF tone prints to that same position.
What I mean, is like the HOF mini, has only one spot to load a toneprint, the HOF 1 has only one also, but the HOF2 has like 3 positions which you can load 3 tone prints.
Some of the other pedals, the single pedal, will have multiple tone print spots, or the ability to hold more then one.
So does any or all of the positions on the plethora have the ability to hold multiple tone prints from the same pedal?
Or
if I want to have 3 different HOF toneprints, can I use one slot to store them, or would that eat up 3 of the 5 locations on the Plethora?

Damn BassBot, that’s some cold shit right there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes and no (I think, I’ve barely used it). compare to a full size TC pedal like the hof reverb which has 3 tone print slots. but you still obviously have to select which one of the three you want. with the x5, I have the hof selected. I flip the switch to edit mode. then one of the knobs becomes the tone print selector and I can select from ANY of the tone prints for that pedal. you don’t have to download them or anything with your phone.

1 Like

yeah, I don’t really know what I’ll do for that one. but although it’s great I really wasn’t using it that much. maybe a simple small filter in the future, I dunno.

1 Like

Just get a Bass Crybaby Wah pedal, I have the Baby one, it is cute, and fun.
I am actually using it OFF my pedalboard, and although it will fit just fine, I have found my feet like it to be a little way away from the pedalboard (I sit alot while playing).
Since I don’t’ need the room, I would probably go for the fill sized Bass CryBaby Wha.
Or even, if going full sized, I would actually go for the Geezder Butler CryBaby Wha pedal. They claim it is set to his likings, and you can change it if you like with controls under the platform / pedal, whatever you call it, lever???

Yeah, you need one of those. LOL. They are fun

1 Like

You can change Toneprints within a slot. But if you want more than one tone prints layered on top of each other at the same time, it takes up more slots. Each slot is one toneprint at a time.

2 Likes