My First Pedalboard!

Yes, that is probably the “safest” approach, unless you are interested in deliberately creating some new sounds by using the “wrong” pedal :smile:

3 Likes

if anyone is looking for me, I am in the yellow zone.

8 Likes

may have missed this above, but does anyone have experience running guitar through bass pedals? i’ve read that the Bass Clone and Bass Big Muff from EHX also sound great with guitars.

2 Likes

I have heard that the Keeley Bassist Limiting amplifier (compressor) and the Keeley CP1 or whatever the model is, is actually the exact same thing, because guitarists were liking the Bassist compressor for their rigs better then his other compressors, so he just put a different name and graphic to it. So yeah, I have heard, but no, sorry, no experience.

I think that a guitarist may have the same fears about bass gear, but the other way around, like their lead high lines are gonna get clipped at the top :thinking:
IDK, just a thought.
Maybe we should ask that long haired beard man on youtube what guitarists say know about pedal trains. LOL!!! I bet he would come up with some good ones.

1 Like

I’m bouncing between yellow and purple :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They do, I have used both with guitar.

1 Like

You can have lots of fun using gear in ways it wasn’t intended!

However the concern above is stealing the low end from your bass, which you want to be careful with and mitigate if you do.

This is not necessarily bad (for example, so far in my experience when mixing/mastering it’s common that one of the first things you want to do is high-pass filter/EQ away everything below about 30-40Hz anyway, as a lot of muddy garbage from all the instruments accumulates down there.) But losing stuff below 40Hz is a lot different than losing your tone below (say) 75Hz :slight_smile:

3 Likes

a lot of people get very concerned when they think a pedal is killing their low end, but that to me doesn’t necessarily mean it sounds bad. chorus is a good example of an effect that I really don’t care about low end with.

2 Likes

Interestingly chorus is an example of an effect where I do care about the low end. The Bass Clone sounds a lot better to me with the crossover on to not kill the low end.

2 Likes

see? choices :ok_hand::grin:

2 Likes

Purple is my favorite area, and I try to tiptoe around the yellow altogether (so far) :wink:

3 Likes

Yellow + Purple = :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m in the blue zone now. Only using a compressor :laughing:

2 Likes

By the way this is one of the first graphics of properly ordering pedals that I completely agree with, the order is perfect.

1 Like

yeah, I agree too, even if there is no hard rule.

also for those (like @howard and myself) who use more than one compressor, obviously the different units are not at the same place in the chain.

2 Likes

Except for one thing: who decided that pedals should be connected from right to left? Very confusing :joy: Besides that, a very useful reference sheet!

2 Likes

that’s common but not always the case. in fact I find it’s very logical because when you face your pedalboard and you have your instrument ready to play, the jack cable leaves the bass to the right (if you’re right handed) and so the cable is here on the right to enter into the first pedal.

5 Likes

So i did a little pedal bag :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice, I hear good things about the MXR Bass compressor and at somepoint will probably try one.
Compressor review guy rates it as high as the Keely Limiting am; / The Bassist, which I have, and while he likes the Keely better for ease of use and dialing in a sweet fat sound, he actually prefers the warmth of the MXR, although he plasts some of the design, and of course the MXR Quality gets very mixed reviews.
But if you found one and it works and you like it, you got a great compressor.

What is that in the middle, I am not familiar, but based on the name and the controls, I am guessing envelope filter. Does it have any DRIVE function mixed in?

And the looper drum machine, a nice one, way to go.

mini HB power bridk, and is the pedalboard HB too, or another make?

Sorry if I missed any of this earlier in the post.

2 Likes

Yes the Funkzilla is a envelope filter making a very cool funky 70´s sound and it has a lot of settings to play with. There is a lot of videos on youtube decribing it in debth :slight_smile: I love the MXR and the sound of it and i never had any issues with it. And yes the bag,board and power is all HB.

2 Likes