My Introduction And Thoughts/Goals

Hello All,
My name is Travis ( AKA The Padre ) and I reside in the beautiful state of Colorado. My personal introduction to the bass was very simple. I was hiking with an older gentleman that expressed his interest in learning the electric guitar. I encouraged him to do so and said," I Have Always Wanted To Learn How To Play The Bass." He went on to explain that HE IS A Bass Player! So two summers ago I purchased his amp, pedals, and 5 string black beauty.

My first year with the bass was nodding around the fret board and watching “every” beginner Youtube bass video. After one year, sounds about right, I joined Scotts Bass Lessons Academy for the year. I have NOTHING bad to say about Scott’s School. Its just that for me, total rookie, his lessons were way over my head. I stuck with it for the year but improved very little. The example that I would give would be that the instructor would explain a basic C Major Scale but then jumps to the C on the 8th fret of the E string. So intermediate players understood and could follow but I was constantly backing up the video and clicking pause to count frets. Not Fun

Summer of 2020 I singed up here on B2B A$$. I practiced everyday and finished the 108 course material but did not absorb the material because of my own pace. I still felt frustrated and really felt that I had not improved. Kind of playing the petty me party.

Then, I was just on a road trip to see some friends last week. We stopped by a BBQ gathering and a fretless acoustic bass was waiting for me. After asking if I could noodle around, the owner picked up his guitar and him and I messed around. In the first 5 minutes I was totally clueless and almost stopped. That is when Josh’s little voice popped in my head. Root, 5th, and Octave. So I camped out there on that pattern while the banjo and guitar player went for it. After a couple of “songs” the banjo guy would call out a D and I would pluck with his head bob. He called out an A and then G and then C and I was stoked. I came in on the boom with his head nob and note calling. Root 5th, Root 5th, And Root Octave. STOKED

So long story short is that I am all rejuvenated and about to start the course over. So looking forward to my future aha moments over the next few months. Wish Me Luck

My Goals:

1. Warm Up Properly And Stretch The Hands Out
  2. Take My Damn Time And Slowly Play The Beginner Riff Before Moving Onto The Medium Tempo Exercise.
  3. Pay Attention To The Notes, Not Just Tabs
  4. Video Record Myself And Watch The Mistakes For Corrections Later
  5. Slow Down!! No Need To Be In A Rush. Not In A Sloppy Way But I Was Always Thinking About What Is Next. Just Slow Down And Be Present
  6. Practice In Front Of Someone. Not For Accountability But To Understand The Tempo With Someone Watching
  7. Frequent The Forum Here On Bass Buzz. Become Involved And Ask Question

So in closing, thank you for your time. Thank you for reading my story. Thanx in advance for all the feedback and for sending positive vibes.

Much Appreciated,
Cheers

20 Likes

Welcome aboard, @travis.thepadre.reed . . . :slight_smile:

Lots of us have taken Josh’s course more than once to work on our weaker areas or as a refresher.

Sounds as if you’ve got a good plan!

All best, and see you around the Forums,
Joe

4 Likes

Best of luck! Good vibes are on their way, might take a while to get there :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome @travis.thepadre.reed!

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @travis.thepadre.reed,
Good move to return to the beginning and redo the whole thing in a structured way.
If I take nothing else from your story, the one thing that did stick was “root, 5th and octave.
So Josh did teach you something that helped you play with the guitarist and banjo player, bravođź‘Ť
Enjoy the ride, and everyone on the forum is always hear to offer advice or feedback when you start stepping out and posting covers, practice segments etc.
This is also good for building confidence and inner strength.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @travis.thepadre.reed

4 Likes

Thanx So Much @PamPurrs

Cheers

5 Likes

Right On @b.s.excavations , Root And 5th
Yes, Josh has helped in many ways.
I began thinking of the funk box that I also could have slipped in but my mind went blank in the moment. And it was the first time on a 4 string AND FRETLESS bass. So I Had That Going For Me

Thanx for checking in,
Cheers

5 Likes

@JerryP Thank You!!
Cheers

5 Likes

Much Appreciated @Mike_NL
Rock On,
Cheers

5 Likes

Thank You @Jazzbass19
Yes, I will concentrate on weaker areas for sure
Be Well
Cheers

6 Likes

Welcome Travis!

3 Likes

Thanx @dmgrn
Cheers

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @dmgrn,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome @travis.thepadre.reed.
I too have gone over the course again and continue delving back in if I feel something still hasn’t hit home.

Welcome @dmgrn

6 Likes

Hey @travis.thepadre.reed! Welcome to the community! We already have an introduction page, feel free to paste this over there too :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @dmgrn

2 Likes

Welcome! I recently finished the course but I plan to go back and try the stuff that I struggled with in the beginning.

4 Likes

Go for it @Retta75 and let me know what you’ve learned this time around. Loads of little nuggets out there to find. Come In On The Boom

Cheers

2 Likes

Good on ya @Mac. Feel free to share your thoughts and insights.

Cheers

3 Likes