My Pinky is Nonconformist

Brand new noob here. Started the lessons and my pinky (fretting hand) is an absolute rebel and does whatever it wants regardless of how hard I try to control it. Is there a specific technique to fix this or does it simply get better with practice? Thanks!

6 Likes

@Kopusetic There are tons of comments in different threads very similar to yours. Itā€™s a common complaint among new bass players.
Your pinky has been just hanging around doing nothing all itā€™s life, and now you are telling it to get up and go to work. Of course itā€™s going to rebelā€¦ but whoā€™s the boss here?
Give it time and practice and it will come around.
Do a search and youā€™ll find loads of good pinky advice here in the forum.

7 Likes

Thanks PamPurrs! Honestly, I didnā€™t even think to search this topic. I just thought this was an anomaly to me. Itā€™s good to know Iā€™m not alone! Lol.

5 Likes

Far from it. Hereā€™s my post from nearly a year ago:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s OK, @Kopusetic . . . youā€™re not alone in that area either.

Go to the little magnifying glass icon on the upper right of the screen, click on that, and then enter ā€œpinkyā€ . . . youā€™ll see lots of threads on this topic.

HTH and all best, Joe

5 Likes

Isnā€™t that funny?
With my disability, my first finger doesnā€™t work so I can only play with 3 fingers.
As a result my pinky is the equivalent of everyoneā€™s ring finger and itā€˜S working really well.
Better than I expected actually.
Itā€™s not quite as strong but itā€™s getting there very quickly.
Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s because I tend to use it more than you ā€œnormal ā€œ people and as a result itā€™s stronger.

6 Likes

I just love your thread title. Sounds like your pinky is a badass.
The James Dean of pinkies.
And, Iā€™ll just second what everyone here has said. Yes - totally normal, and thereā€™s good stuff in the threads to bring you hope!
Best of luck.

6 Likes

I almost titled it; ā€œMy Pinky is a Little @$*holeā€. Lol.

4 Likes

You just need keep practise and follow Josh tips. Practise and lots and lots of patients. I had the same problem as you but after a bit started to get stronger and stronger. It is so nice use the 4 finger as you donā€™t need to stretch that much your wrist. Keep practising!!!

4 Likes