Nathan Navarro/juliaplaysgroove Deantown technique comparo

Pretty much everyone knows Vulfpeck Deantown by now.
Juliaplaysgroove and Nathan Navarro released covers within a day or so of each other last week and seeing as they used the Vulfpeck backing tracks to cut the same bass cover to, I figured that I’d overlay them to see the difference in their general techniques.
I do the video overlay analysis for various different similar things, but I never thought I’d have the opportunity to do it with bass players.
Julia is a little more showy, but think Nathan has a more efficient technique.

What do you guys think?

8 Likes

I would agree with you @admacdo
Both damn fine bass players in their own right and both a pleasure to watch

4 Likes

They’re both excellent.
Great job on the video overlay. Thanks.

4 Likes

yeah, both great.
I love that Joe Dart Stingray she plays tho.

1 Like

Cool how they both interpret it different ways. At one point she was playing up the neck and he was playing down. She slides into a lot of notes too. And yes she has the dart correct bass :grin:

3 Likes

I saw that bit when they went for different note locations and was part way wondering what the f… and then the smart Andy voice inside my head reminded me that that there are multiple places for quite a few notes on the neck…

4 Likes

All but ten of them, in fact :slight_smile:

(the lowest five semitones on the E string and the highest five on the G string cannot be played anywhere else on the fretboard; all of the rest can.)

3 Likes

My 24 fret bongo has a few higher notes than my 22 fret ray so how does that work?

3 Likes

It’s always the lowest five semitones and the highest five (that is because that is equal to the “distance” between the strings) :grin:

5 Likes

My inner voice is often more than a little bit understated.

3 Likes

Julia pretty much destroys the idea that “I can’t play bass because my hands are too small.”

Total badass

2 Likes

Yes. I don’t have the biggest hands in the world. Victor Wooten is my other guy to look at when I see someone’s spidermonkey fingers making bass look so much easier.

1 Like

We actually have a thread for this:

with some solid role models about halfway in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love Joe Dart, but I have never understood that signature bass. If the point is that it is a no frills nothing fancy sort of bass to prove that is all you need… then why is it so expensive?

2 Likes

Basically, that’s how signature models work. They’re never cheaper and essentially, it isn’t the electronics that makes something expensive in terms of wood and materials. It’s because it’s a quality made instrument (and you can’t use inferior wood hidden under a paint finish) AND if you utilise the standard marketing methods of association and halo effect, as well as scarcity and implied performance, you can easily charge more for Joe Dart’s signature bass.
Now a very popular youtube bassist ALSO has one, it’s free advertising.
Always give artists with an established popularity free stuff to demonstrate. The implied effect is that you too, can play like Julia IF you have Joe Dart’s bass.
The vast majority of things are sold on dreams, rather than practicality, in a market that isn’t selling essentials.
Joe Dart’s signature is worth a lot of dreams.
Nobody would buy a bass with my signature on it because pretty much nobody has dreams so small that they want to play like me.
There’s a guy on youtube with only one complete arm that gives me a capability and talent flogging at present.

3 Likes

i’m pretty sure that the joe dart bass is a few (and i mean A FEW) dollars cheaper than the standard stingray 4. it is, after all, passive electronics and has no tone controls on it, so i would guess cheaper slightly to make.

1 Like

I reckon that you have posed an interesting thing to investigate using as much information is available to us and supposition.

1 Like

I can see cases where signature models make sense to charge a premium for, aside from the artist name. One example would be the Yamaha Attitude. Setting aside the Sheehan endorsement (which I basically DGAS about; he’s great, but his style isn’t going to inform my bass spending choices), it’s got some seriously different and unique features from the other high end BBs like the BBP34.

That said, I also wouldn’t shell out $5k for one, either.

4 Likes

After having a look at what is available in US dollars amongst the competition from Music Man alone and then other brand basses made in the USA, I have decided that the Joe Dart bass would not be my choice for the money. I would flat out pay the extra 100 bucks and get a Stingray.

4 Likes

And very apropos, this showed up:

1 Like