Neck refinishing

So I’m waiting on my new SBMM Ray34 to arrive today. I researched for weeks to make sure I was happy with this guitar, and I am.
Of all the color finishes, this is the one I like the most. Neptune Blue, Quilted Maple.
However, it came with a maple fretboard and If I could change one thing, it would be the color of the fretboard. In my opinion, a rosewood or darker fretboard would look better. Again, I’m very happy with the guitar just like it is, and I haven’t even seen it in person yet. I’m just curious if I ever wanted a darker fretboard would that ever be worth pursuing?
The maple is by no means a deal breaker and I may love it when I see it, just wondered what you guys think?

3 Likes

I prefer a maple fretboard over rosewood myself, but everyone has different tastes, @Steve73 . . . :slight_smile:

I suppose you could paint/refinish the fingerboard to a darker color. It would be more expensive to change the whole neck, but might look better overall.

Before doing anything, give it a try the way it is for awhile . . . perhaps you’ll like the maple after all.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Everyone has their own aesthetic, but there’s something classic about a maple fretboard. Woodgrain goes with anything

But do what makes it exciting for you to play it

3 Likes

Return it and buy the one you really want.

4 Likes

Look for a neck on reverb and buy it. You can’t really “refinish it” from one wood to another.

3 Likes

Any wood can be stained a darker colour (maybe you can’t stain ebony because it’s black). Sand the finish off and pick a wood stain. You will need to refinish the surface with something like Teak / Tung / Danish oil or if you prefer a less natural finish, spray or wipe-on polyurethane. My experience is that maple has a very fine grain surface and can look blotchy until the third or fourth coat / sand back.
Or sell a kidney and buy another one with a rosewood fingerboard.

1 Like

Just looked, you can’t buy replacement necks for sterlings.
So you can go through the trouble of refinishing, but I would go with @RuknRole’s suggestion of return it and get the one you want if it bothers you that much

2 Likes

Another vote for maple here . I would have all maple neck basses if I could but it’s a personal thing .
Perhaps as @RuknRole and @John_E suggested you should return it if you’re not going to be 100% happy

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Now that I see it in person (delivered today) the maple looks kinda elegant in a way. I like it. Not gonna mess with a good thing. Plus it wasn’t cheap so I’m not into experimenting with something like that. :joy:
Thanks for all the replies.

2 Likes

I have maple rosewood ebony. They all have different character. I say get some of each!

4 Likes