Need help for my first "decent" bass

My candidates as of now are a Mustang CV P-Bass and a Yamaha TRBX. I don’t really stick to a genre but the main genres I play are rock/alternative/indie pop, but I also tend to practice some funk n slap from time to time. I really like the mustang’s design, however, I fear it may not be as versatile as the Yamaha, any thoughts?

3 Likes

Welcome to BassBuzz @ivureku!

All sorts of basses have been used for every kind of music. I wouldn’t worry about getting a specific bass for that reason.

The Mustang may not be as versatile but whichever one, looks right, sounds right, and feels right, to you, is the one you should get.

Have you had a chance to play both?

5 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts! I do agree too that whichever speaks to me is the one I’m going to get.
I am going to go try the mustang this weekend, I’m still trying to find a shop near me that sells the yamaha.

4 Likes

Welcome, @ivureku. The only way to know which bass to get is to hold many in your hands and see how each feels. You will find that you might like how the body feels on one, the neck on another, the pickup placement on maybe another, etc.

Once you’ve had a chance to try a variety of basses, your hands and arms will let you know which ones fit you best. Good luck and have fun with the hunt.

4 Likes

The thing about a P bass is it always sounds good in the mix. You can play any style of music and it works. Pretty versatile for that.

On the other hand the TRBX is also a fantastic instrument.

Play them both, go with the one that speaks to you.

5 Likes

Yeah. I almost said… except for a p bass. Nobody gets mad because you brought a p bass.

3 Likes

You can slap on short scales decent enough. The only tone that is really hard to cop is the burpy music man bridge pickups. Anything else you get will be pretty versatile and get you pretty close

3 Likes

Not so sure that anybody gets mad if a bassist brings any bass to a gig.

Now, if he/she doesn’t bring any bass at all…:thinking:

2 Likes

Shorties slap just fine. No issue there.

And a short scale SBMM or EBMM brings all the StingRay tone, no problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Being an owner of 14 basses ranging from P’s, J’s, P/J’s short scale, headless, a Thunderbird and a Jaguar, I still love my Mikro the most.

5 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, it was Josh or Gio who said going to a gig or recording, no one gets mad if you bring a P bass

3 Likes

Well mustang is a short scale if you like or plan to do any slapping then maybe look into the sterling short scale. It’s quite awesome. Made for rock and slapping style.

1 Like

^^^This :100:

2 Likes

UPDATE: Had a chance earlier to try the mustang and damn, it really does sound quite amazing and not really the usual p-bass sound I guess(must be also a placebo effect). It feels really good when played, it doesn’t hurt to reach notes with my fingers. Now it is time for me to find shops near me that sell the TRBX models.

Thank you for the amazing discussion right on, I am also eyeing the stingray models too.

4 Likes

It’s not placebo. They do sound different. Even if you get the one with regular p bass pick up instead of one of the 2 sizes mini p pickup.

Shorter scale bass has a thumpier and lower tone due to the shorter scale, also a bit less strings tension as well, which suit some players well.

My American performer pickups has this delicious mid that seems to cut through the mix really well.
Another one I highly recommend is the retro 90’s Yamaha motion b II bass(it’s my first bass here in the US) really enjoy the cult status here and now. It’s a 32” medium scale.
Super awesome tone.

2 Likes

These are really fantastic instruments for the price. I’ve always kind of wanted one. Cheap here too.

2 Likes

I’d love a 32" actually.

2 Likes

MIJ and under $300 usually. Neat little instruments. There’s a line of them, I think my favorite I have tried so far is the MB-40.

1 Like

Nathan East still record with the 5 string version but I’ve never find one. I think it’s the motion b I. If you see one over there can you let me know please. I’d really appreciate it.

Of course since it has his name on the fingerboard it could have been a one off custom.

Edit: never mind it’s a one of custom by the Yamaha Japan

1 Like

yeah at a time I’ve been looking for a Motion.

3 Likes