Need Help Picking Bass

Oh, well there you go. That’s done, lol. I’ll check out those videos. Thanks!

3 Likes

I only know that cause I just looked it up this morning as my stingray HH is on the way and wanted to know what it had. The info is buried in an FAQ on the music man website.

3 Likes

That’s funny. I had to dig around to download a pdf of their pickup knob and switch configurations.

3 Likes

Their pickup height suggestions are also buried in the faq. And different than others.

3 Likes

Is it possible to kinda eyeball the action?

I don’t have any of that gear, except for Allen wrenches.

I was trying to avoid going to the shop but I may have to.

3 Likes

Yes, please watch this :wink:

6 Likes

Good looking bass.

Strings btw are highly subjective. I have a set of Ernie Balls Super Slinky on my new jazz. I hate their feel. But that’s me and my opinion. Your milage may vary.

They do sound okay, but will probably swap them for D’Addario nickel wounds when I install the hipshot bridge I bought, probably this weekend. You’ll figure out what strings you like as you go.

4 Likes

Tough one I would go with the one that is calling your name the most you will know, it’s like picking a girlfriend very individual endeavour…

4 Likes

+1 to Marcelo’s video there. Best bass setup video I have found.

4 Likes

One of the very best setup videos out there, @Paul and @howard . . . :slight_smile:

Definitely watch this one, @Pablo

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Except he’s making 1/8 turn adjustments vs. 1/4 turn as he says (which is better anyway IMO).

1 Like

Congratulations @Pablo
She’s a beauty and has got me pondering wether I need a stingray in my life :flushed:CURSE YOU ALL :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

This is the most expensive ‘free’ forum on the interweb.

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Thanks @Mac! :grin:

2 Likes

Nice looking bass. As said, those are the strings on the bass now. My Ray4 came with them, and since those are my strings of preference, I just left them on, and they are still very much alive almost a year later. If I were to do any recording, I would probably put a new set of strings on, but for my normal day to day practice they are fine.

Yes it is, I do it almost exclusively, as I am going for the best feel (lowest action) with no buzz, so it is kind of a back and forth procedure, however, when you get used to the bass, and to doing it, it speeds up and is pretty quick.
I do recommend following videos for the first few times until you get used to it.

Also, just because you do the initial (out of the box) set up, does not mean the bass is done “settling”, and you will likely need to make minor adjustments as often as every couple days for the first month.

This is a great reason to just do the set ups yourself, as it would get quite costly if you keep taking it back in for adjutments for the first month.
Possibly they have a 30-60- or 90 day policy where they will tweak it durring that time, which is great, but it can still be a pain in the ass to bring it back, and possibly be without a bass for a day or two, just for minor tweaks.

And yes, Minor tweaks can be done by eye er…well, really by ear and feel, but yeah, you don’t need to do anything major if you are getting a little buzz on a single string over a range of frets. This is actually quite common IME. I go for the lowest action I can get, so after a truss rod adjustment, and then lowering the action as low as possible, within a week (give or take a week), I usually find a string or a fret section that is buzzing, or even just sounds kind of dead (as in, when I pluck it makes noise, but there is no sustain, the note quickly dies out), and I just get out my hex wrench, and (check the tuning first - then check if it still buzzes or is dead) and rais up 1/4 to 1/2 turn on each saddle set screw, then check that string in the fret section that was problematic, and play on once it is good. I re-tune before checking of course, it is very important to check tune, adjust, check tune, test - etc… That is one thing to stress, ALWAYS make sure the instrument is in tune before and after any adjustments and tests.

Another thing to note, that is not always displayed in videos, or talked about (not all videos, many do display or talk about this, but not all) you are really supposed to TUNE, CHECK, ADJUST, RE-TUNE, TEST while the instrument is in playing position.
That means, put the bass on a strap, hang it around your neck, and do the work from there. Now, you can do measurements, and adjustments while the bass is on the bench, but to me, that is alot of on and off and on and off again, so I just do the whole thing with my bass around my neck. YMMV

You are in luck. For the Truss rod adjustment, there is a wheel where the last fret meets the body, and this is how you make adjustments. you just need a straight rod that will fit into one of the holes to turn it. You can almost always use the Hex wrench that you are going to adjust the action with.
Then you just need one hex wrench for the set screws that raise and lower the action.

For the first few times, I would suggest following along with a video or two. The one posted above is a great video to assist. Also look up Guns and Guitars - he has a stellar bass set up video as well, going over intonation as well, I can’ recall if Marcello gets into intonation in that video above.

3 Likes

He doesn’t, but he has a separate video just for intonation.

5 Likes