Need Suggestions for case, stand and strap

I have a stand, case, and strap all from Sweetwater, @Crawlnstall . . . :slight_smile:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GtrStd--on-stage-stands-xcg-4-classic-guitar-stand

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-6162-306--fender-deluxe-molded-bass-case

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM1PDBLK--levys-dm1-3-inch-leather-face-with-padded-back-guitar-strap-black

I’m very satisfied with the quality of each purchase, too. The case is more than you may want to spend, but it’s almost bulletproof! It fits my Fender Jazz Bass perfectly.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Thank you for the links! The case is spendy but looks fantastic. I’ve thought about getting a strap that snaps in, wondering if those are more secure/nicer

5 Likes

I added Schaller straplocks to my strap . . . definitely a good idea depending on what type of strap buttons you have on your bass. If they are the flare type, you can use rubber grommets for more security . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

You can find used cases on Reverb, Facebook, etc as well.
Just need to make sure is supports your bass properly and no ‘wiggling’ in the case.
If the wrong fit, you can always put foam here and there if inclined.

Straps are very personal, padded and wide are comfier, softer leather helps, but can add to price.

Stands are dependent on the enviornment. Pets/Kids running about or is the enviornment ‘quiet’. Will you be gigging and need to take it with you? Collapsibility is then key perhaps.
Hercules are built to last. Are you going to buy another bass (this is a silly question btw), you may want a multi bass rack.

4 Likes

I am not planning on gigging anytime soon as I’m not only nowhere near good enough to play publicly, but also don’t have a band or anything. My house is quiet as the bass stays in the basement. I will eventually buy another bass but that is probably at least 8 months out, if not more

3 Likes

Here’s a thread with lots of thoughts on straps . . .

6 Likes

Hey, I hope you’re enjoying the course!

• Cases:
    I don’t like hard cases, but you can get cheaper, good quality ones, like Gator’s
  • Stands:
    I was using a classic neck stand, but I felt it clunky while moving, so I moved to a floor stand, and I really like the Hercules GS302B
  • Straps:
    I was using a wide leather strap, but I followed some recommendations and got the KLIQ AirCell.
    Imho is not as good-looking as my previous leather strap, but the comfort… …oh the comfort is on a whole new level
    And, for strap-locks, I also had Schaller on some of my bases, but I opted for the D’Addario Dual-Lock Strap Lock. You don’t need to take the screws or anything, just use the stock ones, and add the lock on the strap.

As @John_E mentioned, all these things are personal taste. It just depends on what you like more (aesthetics vs comfort, stock vs moded, etc etc)

3 Likes

Hello, I recommend the K and M guitar stand. super stable and when the guitar is on it is almost invisible. I use a 2inch guitar strap, but u might want a thicker one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM17581BK--k-and-m-17581-heli-2-guitar-stand-black

4 Likes

For a case, I have a Gator soft case and a hard case. I almost exclusively use the soft case, it’s much more convenient. It has straps like a backpack, external pockets, good protection. For just around town, it’s all I need.

Stands, I would get a Hercules model of some sort if you can fit it in your budget. Other than that there’s a lot of choices that do the job just fine.

Straps are more personal. If you have a heavy bass or it bothers your shoulders you might want a wide strap. I have an 11 pound bass and use a Kliq strap and I don’t get tired even if I practice long.

If your bass neck dives, a wide leather strap with a suede back might help. Other than that, pick one that suits you. But the bass will sit on your shoulders for hours, so bear that in mind.

Strap locks are a must. Dunlop’s are good, I hear good things about Shallers. I also use rubber grommets. Cheap and get the job done at the expense of convenience.

One thing on straps, if you’re tall pay attention to length.

4 Likes

I bought the following for my Ibanez miKro (short scale) bass, all from Guitar Center:

So far all are working out well, although I haven’t really used the gig bag. The current list price total for the items I purchased would be $99.49, but if you can find sales or discounts, you might cut 20-25% off of that, as I did.

If you know you’ll get another bass within the year, you might consider a stand that can accommodate two or more instruments.

Added: you should also figure in that you may want an electronic tuner, and perhaps a plug in type amp for quiet practice. I got the Korg TM-60 combo tuner/metronome, and a Vox amPlug2 for Bass, both from a local music shop.

4 Likes

Whatever you do, don’t skimp on the strap. An inadequate, uncomfortable strap can make your life miserable, and you won’t enjoy practicing as you should. A wider straps is generally better as it distributes the weight on your shoulder better. remember you have 9-11 lbs. (depending on your bass) hanging on your shoulder. Be as comfortable as you can. The quality of the stand and case is secondary compared to the importance of the strap.
I have two of these.
Pricey, yes; but my back and shoulder are worth every penny.

As far as quick release, I use these on all my basses.

5 Likes

If you don’t plan on going anywhere. Don’t bother with a case. If you want something for lessons or repairs a gig bag is fine you just need to be a bit more careful.

6 Likes

If you’re not taking it out of the house any time soon, I’d wait for a BIG sale (Black Friday-type) because cases are expensive. I’m in the leave-it-out club anyway. It makes it easier to pick up and play if you don’t have to unbox the bass every time.

Plan for the future:

6 Likes

8 months in ‘basstime’ translates into about 4 weeks from now…

8 Likes

If your bass is heavy you need to consider the KLIQ AirCell that @Leo reccomends. It’s pricey at $40 but you will have this thing on 100% of the time you’re playing. Your shoulders and back will thank you! I don’t know how anyone plays a JB without one.

For short scale that is dramatically lighter - I just use a $15 Ernie Ball strap in a color/pattern I like.

I second @Jazzbass19 recommendation of the XCG-4 stand as well.

I’m not good enough to have taken my basses out of the practice room - but in-person lessons are coming up so I need to find a case myself… and gig bags just don’t seem like enough protection. So I’ll be watching case recommendations here myself.

7 Likes

ha, this is my most hated strap!
See, it’s a very personal thing!

6 Likes

I like the Kliq strap on my Sire which is hefty, but leather on all other basses. Yup, it’s very personal

3 Likes

Love the AirCell straps, I’ve owned several.

And a bit +1 to Schaller strap locks. Nicer features then the Dunlops in my opinion, having owned both styles.

4 Likes

I just found out Gator Co. is the parent company of Gator Cases, Gator Frameworks (stands) and Levy’s Leathers.

+1 for getting a great strap. Makes a huge difference. I tried using a 2" guitar strap and my fretting hand would go numb. This may be a personal issue though.

2 Likes

I’m curious, what are the nicer features? I’m not opposed to trying something new next time I buy strap locks.

1 Like