New Amp Questions-Rumble 100v3

X-posted from Talkbass, as I am less likely to get attitude here:

Just received by Fender Rumble 100v3 from Fender. Quite an upgrade over the Rumble 15. Still trying to figure out all of the tonal options and dials. I have a number of “dumb noob” questions I hope the group can answer:

1. Am I correct that “Gain” controls the strength of the signal from my bass before it is processed by the amp and that “Master” controls the strength of the processed signal going to the amp’s speaker?

2. Do the frequency control knobs (bass/treble) simply control the levels of those frequencies within the master volume setting or will cranking those to max in effect increase the strength of the overall signal to the speaker?

3. I use a scarlet focusrite DAI on my computer. Do I need to use an XLR cable to connect the amp to the scarlet or can I connect it with the speaker cord extension into the instrument input in the focusrite?

3 Likes

I’ve connected my Rumble 40 to my Scarlet using the XLR out port and a XLR cable.

2 Likes

Yes, I know I CAN do that, but I currently lack a XLR cable and wonder if I would do any damage to either using the cab port and standard instrument cord.

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Don’t do this. It would probably do significant damage to the Focusrite.

You can use a regular instrument cable to go from the Effects Send to the Focusrite but you would not get the cabinet simulation. If that even matters to you.

You could also use the headphone out and that would get the cabinet simulation. You would need 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter then the instrument cable to the Focusrite.

2 Likes

While possible to convert the headphone out, I would recommend just running an XLR cable. It will be a better solution.

1 Like

If I understand what you mean, then no. The master does not act as a limit on the eq knobs. Each of them can boost or cut the signal. This is from the manual.

Bass: ±15dB @ 80Hz
Low-mid: ±12dB @ 280Hz
High-mid: ±12dB @ 1.2kHz
Treble: ±15dB @ 10kHz (“shelving” type)

Gain boosts the signal coming in, Level boosts the signal when the drive is engaged, EQ boost or cut at the specified frequency, and master boosts the signal on the way out.

I’m excited for you. I hope you’re digging the new amp. So many new tones to explore.

Talkbass can be so toxic sometimes :sweat_smile:

…and is a repo of some of the worst advice you will find :rofl:

1 Like

i have gotten some good advice there, but often it feels like walking into a biker bar with a bunch of grumpy leathery, chainsmoking oldtimers.

1 Like

I have seen some amazing, flat out terrible advice there. Like the time a bunch of Fender old-timers tried to convince a guy his truss rod was broken when he clearly only had a double-action truss rod that was in its neutral position. And even after a ton of people gave the right answer, these guys kept doubling down on their terrible advice to sell the new bass.