NEW Ampeg Rocket Bass Combo Amps!

Rocket Bass I believe is the first product Yamaha has brought to the market since acquiring Ampeg. Sure its not the last. A pre-amp pedal would be nice.

I’m not a particular fan of the looks of the Rumble equipment. It reminds me of the cheap equipment we had in the AV clubs when I was in school. I own two fender basses so I am a fan of the company, but they could step out of vintage. My new bass has a flame maple top and has wood grain instead of paint. It’s a vintage look with a modern twist, and I think if Fender did more of that they would kill it.

Back to Ampeg, if they could catch their tube-y sound in a pedal that would kill it too.

3 Likes

The bummer about the rocket bass amps is they don’t really sound like that, though. At least in the samples. I was hoping they would.

They do look like fantastic competition for the Rumbles though.

2 Likes

Just like the latest Fender Rumble series doesn’t sound as the ‘original’ either. Would be kinda boring if everything would sound the same anyway? I think those Ampeg Rocket amps sound great for the size and weight and it’s kinda logical that they had to do some concessions when you compare it with a 200 pound Ampeg stack.

If you really want a tube sound I would go for a tube (pre)amp anyway. Markbass is one of the few brands who still uses tubes in pedals. Fully recommend those!

2 Likes

Yeah. Highly recommend the EBS ValveDrive there.

2 Likes

This Portuguese guy has recorded a wee demo of the RB-110. Starts playing after the 10-minute mark.

2 Likes

Any more feedback on these Ampeg Rock Bass amps over the last year? Has anyone compared donuts-to-donuts middle range Ampeg RBs vs. Fender v3 Rumbles for the same/similar output (Ampeg RB-110 50W vs. Fender Rumble 40W; or RB-112 100W vs. Rumble 100W)?

I watched an Andertons video comparing the 100W models of each, using one passive and one active guitar, and to my ears the Fender sounded better. But I’m no doubt not the best judge of such things, and as the guys in the video concluded, it’s all what sounds good to your ears.

The 100W models of either brand seem to be in a sweet spot as far as features, but are perhaps too much output for beginner practice amps (or not enough for larger gigs) - especially if there is no intention of using one in even a small group regularly. So the 40-50W might be better for practice use.

I think the warranty coverage new is the same, (Ampeg - Fender, if those are the right links) but then again, buying used without benefit of warranty might be best if no problems ensue.

2 Likes

at least you are the best judge about what you like or not

3 Likes

:laughing: True enough!

2 Likes

I have a Rumble 100 and an RB110. I like them both; I picked the Rumble up in case I started playing with others, and the rocket bass for practice, though I do use both to practice on.

My take, is that they’re equal. The Rbmble is very good at the “vintage” tones, it has a very warm sound and the lower notes really thump viscerally.

The Ampeg’s tone is clearer and crisper, and it has the SVT circuit. It has a really nice tone, I prefer the tone of the Ampeg but the thump of the Fender.

So not much help I guess.

3 Likes

SVT is “vintage” too. It all boils down to personal taste. I think they are both good value for money :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I love that 100W Ampeg but think I’m going with a Phil Jones DG-120.
The sound is out of control good.

2 Likes

The nice thing about those cubs is that they work with other instruments too. This one in particular is extra awesome because of the power cab extension option. I would love to combine this with my C2’s and build a tower of doom.

3 Likes

11 kilos for 100watt combo amp? Sign me up.

My 85watt is more than 30 kg.

2 Likes

I think that’s officially on my wish list.

Well, I was in GC yesterday looking to get a RB-110. I picked up a Squier CA Bass to try it out and compare it to my old Rumble 40. Then I made a mistake…I plugged the CA Bass into the Ampeg RB-210 that was near by.

Love. So mellow. Blew me away at lower volumes for practice. It just sounded so good. The Rumber 40 and the Ampeg RB-110 sounded so insubstantial. I had no idea that 2 x 10" would sound so much better; I thought it would be just louder.

The Mrs. was very nice and approved my purchase, but it was double what I was looking to pay. But,…I am looking forward to bringing this Ampeg home! :grinning:

6 Likes

Ignoring the fact that the 210 has 10x the amp power of the 110… they don’t use the same 10in speakers and the 210 also has a tweeter.

4 Likes

Yeah! A totally different world!

1 Like