New bass and amp day!

I had GAS bad. I scratched the itch. Vintage VJ74 in three tone burst and a small AMPEG BA-108 amp. Luthier just set it up with D’addario 45-100 and set action , pickup height and went over with me how I played and made adjustments based on his observations of me playing. The action is low but no buzzing. The pickups have very little to no hum. The Wilkinson components are top notch. Great fretwork. Knobs turn with just a touch of resistance. The amp punches well above it’s weight. It is a good day.

Blockquote
Uploading: 1626809863777831128043095674325.jpg…

And my LTD B50 FM is in these pics as well.

14 Likes

The mark on the Vintage in lower left is just a reflection

4 Likes

9 Likes

Well done sir!

5 Likes

Nice!

5 Likes

Very nice!

3 Likes

Some observations… Really good build. Finish is flawless. Neck is not fat all. All hardware seems to be solid. Heavier than my LTD B-50 FM by several pounds. Fretwork appears perfect with no sharp edges and really smooth crowns. The bridge uses brass and is well built. Intonates and holds tune very well. My tech set it up after watching how I played and where I placed my thumb and the general position of my plucking hand. Action is low, no buzzes and plays easily. Only buzzes are from lack of technique but I’m working everyday to get there. The pickups are really punchy J-style. They sound really clear and airy. No mud. The tone control actually affects the nuances of the sound. I have a whole world to explore with just adjusting and blending pickups and playing with the tone. The little Ampeg is loud. On par with the Peavey Basic 112 I have. Sounds less muted than the Peavey. Punches well above it’s weight. I think I’m in love.

3 Likes

Wow! All that and a good tech?! Sounds like a great day for bass.

2 Likes

This bass has made me have dreams about playing bass. And in my dreams I am really good. I am on a stage in front of 10’s of my adoring fans shaking my flat, wide butt…making duck lips, dressed in fake leather pants so tight I have a moose knuckle in front and look like a stuffed sausage casing. I am sweating from my bald head and it runs into my eyes and stings, but it does not matter at that moment because I am everyone’s favorite fat bald headed rock God. Oh, but a man can dream, can’t he?

3 Likes

More like a nightmare if you ask me :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Hell yeah! Keep those dreams alive!

3 Likes