New Bass Project; "I'm your Captain"

I had a chance to complete the routing of the rear cavity.


I also started reshaping the heel of the neck.


Hopefully, I’ll have the neck completed by this weekend. It’s coming together quickly.

4 Likes

@Moonshine have you ever done a neck with an oil and wax rub?

1 Like

I have used a variety of oil and or wax combinations over the years. There’s a company called General Finishes that makes an oil/urethane (I think) mix sealer and topcoat, both Tobias nand Greg Curbow used this in the 90’s. I’ve tried various oils, True Oil is popular, but I have always had issues with it, but I’m pretty sure that I am the problem. I’ve rubbed necks down with Johnsons Paste Wax, it makes for a really smooth neck.

My current favorite is Watco’s Danish Oil.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/watco/danish-oil

2 Likes

How does the final product differ between the True Oil, Paste Wax, and Danish oil?

The oil finishes end up pretty much the same, True Oil is used as a finish for gunstocks. As a whole, they are pretty durable and they can be built up to a very smooth and shiny finish. Paste wax feels realy good and fast, but not what I would call durable, it can be cleaned off and reapplied.

1 Like

I installed the 5 way switch and the two toggel switches, the cavity is small but everything fit.


The body is ready to continue with finishing. I have to shape the heel of the neck and paint the headstock. I’m making progress.

5 Likes

Well…

I used our new spray booth to finish the bass body, I had sprayed a few other pieces in it previously and had experienced a bit of blushing (moisture in the finish), but nothing horrible.

This time though, the temperature had increased and we have been experiencing more rain as we move into spring/summer.

To make a long story short, between the humidity and my unwillingness to give up on the theory of “If I spray more coats on it, it’ll get better”, I screwed it up. It ended up being a somewhat maroon color. Pretty bad. I think what did me in was the color that I came up with on the headstock, it came out with more of a blue/purple shade and I tried to make the body match.

The humidity situation left the finsihes under the surface undried. The only thing I can do now is strip the body.

We are installing an evironmental control system in the spray booth/final assembly area. We’re learning as we go.

2 Likes