New bass recommendations?

Also you have the Charvel. It looks fab, how does that neck compare to a Modern C?

They do

(not the CV 50. That’s a chonky boi)

I did not think of a Charvel. Must be getting old. That’s a possibility. It’s a lot of bass for the money. And you can get them discounted

The Charvel neck is nothing like a modern C. It is closer to an Ibanez. It is super thin, super smooth on the back, rolled fret edges, and a compound radius 12"-16". She is built for speed.

Thanks for mentioning it certainly worth consideration. One of the best necks in the price range

You pick up a Charvel and wonder how they fit a truss rod and two graphite reinforcement rods in something that thin

And it’s roasted maple and has a truss wheel at the bass of the neck

3 Likes

Yeah the Charvel San Dimas is a $1400 bass in Canada so :moneybag::moneybag:

1 Like

Well, my Charvel I got a a big discount, so I think they have room to work with, but I’m not Canadian Kopecks thank goodness

1 Like

Thanks for that @Wombat-metal. I wouldn’t want to go any thinner than a Fender Modern C so now I know.

3 Likes

I like the “U” shape of the Steve Harris bass. While it’s definitely not a skinny Ibby or Jazz neck, it’s very comfortable to play despite the chunk. It has a pretty tight radius though, 7.25", so that the fretboard is quite rounded. I like it, but some might not.

1 Like

If you like the look , the color and feel good, take it, that’s the One, you can always set up anything.
For me 4 strings is enough.
Mike

4 Likes

They seem both good choices. Just go with the one you fancy most. As for the Ibanez you can also order the 4 string version from that bass.

Good luck!

1 Like

Both of those are good basses, but very different. I don’t think playing a 5 string as a beginner should be a deterrent, but I would consider what kind of music you like to play. For 99.9% of what I play, I do not need a 5 string. With a 5 string, you get a wider nut (thus wider neck), smaller spacing between strings, and added weight. Just be aware, the SR500 4 string neck is significantly narrower than the five string (45mm vs 38mm) and will feel different on your hands and body than the SR505. To me, a 5 string is the right tool for a job, just not a job I perform often.

For the type of music I like to play (rock, alternative, funk), number of frets has not been an issue. Most of the notes required to play are on the lower half of the neck (frets 1-12). This may be different for you, depending on your music choices and playing style (finger, pick, slap, tap, etc).

It’s difficult to find a single bass that checks all boxes, that is why many of us here have more than one bass. The type of bass I first chose is not the bass I prefer now. As you play and your skills improve, you will most definitely develop a preference. For me, staying with a four string in the beginning was probably a better idea. I would look up some bass players from bands you like, and see what they are using, it may take you in a direction you hadn’t thought of yet.

Congrats on the Christmas bonus, which bass to buy is a great problem to have.

3 Likes

This is a great point. I think that at the end of the day Fender can’t stray far from their core or they’d risk alienating the customers. I have to say the American pro ii neck is quite awesome. Their American deluxe dimension neck is just awesome. Asymmetrical C shape compound fingerboard radius.

Fender knows the recipe for a great neck but the classics are what they think people wants.

4 Likes

Yes it is!

4 Likes

I ordered all my basses but one online without even trying them so… Is that like an arranged marriage or mail order bride? :thinking:

6 Likes

Not if you can return them.

I ordered a used bass from GC, liked it, but before the 6 month (COVID) return window, I had gotten a Ray4, and decided not to keep the Ibanez SR300 And brought it back to a local GC and returned it, actuallyapplied the balance to a Ray 4HH.
Sadly, I did not fancy the HH version and sold it, because it was past the non COVID 45 day window for returns

I have ordered and returned at least 50 pedals from Amazon, thank God for free returns, but how else are you gonna try them?

It’s nice to get 5 of the same FX, and test them all side by side at your home with your amps and basses too.

I don’t think it’s bad, you can always sell what you decide is not for you, and if you bought a good deal, you can often even turn a profit :+1:

3 Likes

I’m pretty adaptable, there are things I might like more than other but I’ve never bought an instrument I really didn’t like. I’ve never sold one either :sweat_smile:

Might be how I stayed married to the wrong person for 15 years :joy:

3 Likes

Glad to know I am not the only one :rofl::rofl:

As far as basses go, there were not many I bought and sold that I flat out did not like except the Ray 4HH which is strange cuz I love my Ray 4.

I just couldn’t find a setting using the bridge pick up I liked, and it’s kind of nice to have the free space.

But I loved the color (Olive green) and the maple fretboard so much, I really wanted to love it like My Ray 4, but I just couldn’t gel with it.

If I had swapped out the pick ups, maybe it would have been better.

It won’t stop me from trying a EBMm Stingray HH, or a SBMM Ray 34HH however, but in the end, I think I just like my stingrays with one pick up in the sweetest of sweet spots

1 Like

9 for me. Though 13 if you count dating. Very self destructive for both people.

2 Likes

24 for me :joy:
Stupid is, stupid does :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I bought seven basses online. Six new, one used; all sight unseen until they were delivered to my door. Two of the seven were returned.

I don’t mind ordering to try a bass out. It’s worked out fine.

2 Likes

Well nearly all of my basses were bought online except Ray34. All of them were fine, but eventually I knew I didnt want em, so I was acting as importer at my place. Get a bass, fix it up, set it up, sell it locally.

I would have bought some basses locally but issue is selection, and customer service is bad, so Id rather give money to some who care.

Why not returning you might ask. Well taxes, since officially we are not part of EU, on import and export Id need to pay taxes, so that means every time instrument has to go over the border.

1 Like

My advice would be to buy a bass that does not need a battery. I had one die on me right before a rehearsal. It was so embarrassing because I did not even know what was causing the problem!!! :cold_sweat: All of a sudden, my bass just “stopped working”. I also do not like having so many knobs and switches to adjust. I just hate having to turn all those knobs. And they don’t even have any labels!!! I learnt my lesson. Now I pack two spare batteries in my gig bag at all times.

Definitely, for me, the simpler the better. My next purchase is probably going to be a Fender Precision passive bass. I haven’t tried one out yet, but it would be quite an investment. I currently have the Ibanez GSR205 and the Yamaha TRBX304. The Ibanez sounds so beautiful, but it is heavy. The Yamaha was Josh’s recommendation. I always get a lot of compliments on it, but personally, I think my Ibanez sounds better. I’d also go with a 4 string. The 5 is no problem for me but I don’t even need to use the 5th string. It’s just a thumb rest.

1 Like