New Piccolo Bass

I built myself an ultra-short scale 6-string piccolo bass out of plywood and cheap parts…

But Korrigan, you say, that’s just a guitar with a really wide neck!

No sir, it’s tuned in 4ths (EADGCF). :slight_smile:

17 Likes

That looks awesome!

4 Likes

Amazing job! . . . :+1:

4 Likes

Oh man. It doesn’t look like cheap parts. That is nice.

3 Likes

Dude welcome back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

looks very cool ! I like the finish

4 Likes

Thanks guys!

@eric.kiser, all of the hardware is from ebay, other than the pickups which are from MGB and they are only $20 (but sound great). I bought one set of black and one set of gold. The fact that I mixed the colors to get two-tone hardware is what gives the illusion of it being something special. :slight_smile:

@howard, I haven’t been playing bass much, that’s true, I’ve been learning slide guitar for the last several months. But I didn’t go anywhere, I still look at the forums daily.

4 Likes

That is awesome. If you stepped up the wood for the body, you could be selling those for about $500-$600 on Amazon, and make a killing.
Heck I bet you could sell them with the plywood for that. I think you will have a back log that makes it impossible to keep up with current orders. And that’s a great thing.
Good work, great job. I wish I had the skills, and tools to to that. Would be cool to make one.

2 Likes

Looking at that hardware I don’t think he needs to step up anything to sell it if he likes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Agreed, I was just suggesting a nice solid body out of a popular type of wood for bass bodies instead of plywood. But plywood is fine, there are retail guitars, mass produced that use plywood. I know somebody that ripped apart a Squire guitar and was suprised to find that it was plywood.
Yes, @howard, the two tone trick with the hardware was a great idea, making it look custom of a sort. That would sell extremely fast, however I doubt selling that one was the idea.
Others, maybe.

Who knows, @Korrigan, are you taking orders? Hint hint, :wink:

3 Likes

@Korrigan You have a good eye, your bass just POP’s Wow :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

Thanks guys! Yeah this one is a keeper. One of these days when I retire from my “real” job I might be able to start building seriously but right now it’s just for fun.

4 Likes

Update: I found a .068 string in my r̶a̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶s̶t̶ … um… string collection… so it’s now tuned BEADGC.

5 Likes

I like the bass too, looks really cool.

I remember back in school I was into LARP and I’ve built Swords with a friend of mine. Material costs ~10€, sold on ebay for at least 60€ and up. Not saying you should do it as a job or take orders, but if you can part with your creations it would be a nice bit of extra cash for doing something you like - and the marge seems way higher with instruments.

At that time it was also an opportunity for us to practice sword building while essentially not spending money for it. (We weren’t even good at the start.)

4 Likes

And yet, the strings look like guitar strings from this distance… :wink: so, do you use it with an octavider?

3 Likes

Piccolo bass is tuned an octave higher than standard bass. It’s currently tuned B1 E2 A2 D3 G3 C4… you could also call it a short-scale 4ths tuned baritone guitar. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

KILLER! This thing is gorgeous. Well done, @Korrigan.

4 Likes

Compared to the baritone guitar I saw my favourite musician play one day, this is a uke. :laughing:

That thing never ended… you’d look down the fretboard like you’d look down Route 66. I think it was a 36" scale. Shorter folks would’ve needed outside assistance to tune it…! It was a one-off made by Ned Steinberger.

4 Likes

Wow. Very impressive.

4 Likes