New pickup for my Sterling Ray5!

Just replaced the pickup in my Sterling Ray5 with a Nordstrand MM5.2 OLP and wow what a difference. And this is with the stock preamp etc. I will be doing the rest later on but for now the difference is unreal.

3 Likes

What kind of improvement/difference do you hear?

1 Like

Articulation is much improved, in general not as muddy yet it sounds throaty or maybe a nice growl to it without being harsh. I’m looking forward to replacing the restof the electronics as well. also the treble side strings stand out better which is something the stock pickup was not great with no matter how i adjusted the stock pickup on the treble side. I wired the new PUP in parallel. Even my wife who doesn’t play but has a good ear noticed right away.

3 Likes

It’s pretty common. The Sterling Ray pickup is very hot and on top of everything else it’s also wired in series so the tone can overwhelm the amp especially in most case beginners amps of smaller drives and size.

Switching the stock to parallel helps and definitely upgrading the pickups would be even better as most third party pickups have lower output to promote clarity.

running a Warwick gnome 300 watt I pro into a 10 inch cab

1 Like

Ok, and?

1 Like

Not sure what your question is? I was just stating the amp I use

1 Like

Single 10"?

1 Like

Yes its small but im in a small house and not gigging. Ultimately I would like a 4x10 cab and maybe an Aguilar head but that may be a few months

1 Like

Not sure If you all have heard the gnome amps paired with their cabs but they sound amazing for a small setup.

2 Likes

No the gnome is really nice and clean. Funny enough it’s quite similar to the elf in terms of punching above the weight. A bit on the dry side but it’s better than the other way around.

1 Like