New pickups

I am getting a nice bassry sound from the D& G strings. The E and A strings not so good. I’ve had a setup done and put on new strings, I have a Rumble 100 for an amp. It is a cheap guitar from Wal Mart. I was thinking of replacing the pickups. Has anyone had any experience with this or any suggestions?

5 Likes

Hows the rest of the guitar? Frets, action, neck fatness?

Btw maybe you just need to raise one side of the pick up to fix your issue.

5 Likes

What do you mean by ‘not so good’? What’s missing, what’s there?

3 Likes

Hi John:
To me it sounds flat, I worked with the knobs and got it sounding better but it doesn’tt have a deep bass sound. I thought perhaps I wasn’t plucking the string correctly, I’ve worked on that but to no avail

4 Likes

The guitar itself is fine, I like the fret action, have no problem playing it, the sound just doesn’t seem right to my tone deaf ear.

4 Likes

Then before any drastic actions maybe try raising the pickup higher. Thats the first thing that comes across my mind.

4 Likes

Could be pickup height. Might need to raise it on the low side (or lower it on the high side).

4 Likes

Agree pickup height is probably hte first place to look. You can look up what a good starting measurement is depending on P/J or humbucker pickups on your bass.

1 Like

Or you can just raise it a little and see if it sounds better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks John and Howard. I will try that.

3 Likes

Can you post a picture of the bass, so we know what you are working with.
This would help us to recommend pick ups, if an upgrade is in order.

1 Like

Thanks for writing. I raised the pickup and also found that I have a tendency to pluck the E string with an upward motion rather than across. It seems my hand gets lazy, I have to make a conscious effort to correct that. Those 2 things make a big difference. i believe I am okay now.

4 Likes