New Strings.. New setup?

I need an opinion on string changing. Remove all the strings at once or remove and replace one string at a time? I’ve watched a few YT videos and it’s about 50-50 for each method. I just received the flat wounds for the Hofner and I’m debating with myself if I should do it myself or wait until the pro shop opens up and let them do it.

2 Likes

Either way is fine, from what I understand. I usually do them all at once but there’s no rule as far as I know.

You’re likely going to need to do a setup after changing the strings anyway, if that influences your decision about waiting for the pro shop.

3 Likes

I’m no expert, but my understanding from my own recent research into this is that changing one at a time keeps the tension on your neck, making it less likely you will need a truss rod adjustment after the string change. The advantage of taking them all off is that it allows you to thoroughly clean the fretboard. So that is what I base it on. Fretboard looks good, I do one at a time. Fretboard needs a real good cleaning I take them all off and give it some love. Either way it shouldn’t do anything that a setup can’t easily fix.

4 Likes

Great advice from @howard and @BassFaceDisgrace already.
My 2cents.
I take them all off. Clean everything. String them one at a time, but keep the, about an octive loose. Then I tune them starting with the E, work my way to the G, then go bCk to the E and check / adjust til they are all in tune.
Then I stretch them by just pulling them side to side, for a minute or two. Then I re tune it, and play for 5-10 minutes, plucking hated, like power chugging. Then I will stretch them some more, and play some more.
I usually play it for several days to a week to let them settle.
Be sure to bend them at the bridge so they are not arcing, and are bent over the bridge. There is a video showing this somebody posted.

After a little bit of time, getting rid of the “brand new twang” feeling, I check if I need a set up, measuring the strings at the 12th fret for starters

If so, I will do the set up, truss rod adjustment if needed, and lower the action as needed.

The. I play it more. I find after time, a string will go flat at some frets, and then I raise its action until it goes away.
I have found that a few days later, I need to do it again on the same string. Or a few days later it may be on a different string.

Keep in mind, I am making very small, finite adjustments. I like to keep my action super low. And over tome, things can happen, ambient temp, humidity, playing it a lot, not playing it for a little while, etc… than can move more then the adjustment made previously.
So, I believe, even having a pro set it up, with new strings, if you want the action as low as it can go, you may need to continue making adjustments after some time for reasons listed above, especially with new strings IME, which for bass is not that much.
I would highly recommend that you change them, however you are comfortable, all off / all on, or one at a time. And feel Arron’s to see what adjustments you may mak to best work them in.

Then take it to a pro, when they open back up, and ask them about the set up you either performed (if you do a full one) or adjusted, and ask for tips from them if they are willing. Then, instead of running it back and forth if you have periodic issues that need adjustment, you can just do it on the fly. I have tools handy when playing Incase I need to adjust the bridge up, or see where I can lower it a little. It is helpful to build the confidence to fine tune your instrument.

Unless something big goes wrong, like breaking the truss rod, there is not much you can do to it, that can’t be un done. And even the truss rod, I am just careful, and make tiny turns like the videos have shown me. Besides, without a specialized, long hex key, on a ratcheting holder, small 1/8 turns are all I can make on the truss rods on my Basses, with access only thru the headstock, between the strings
Good look, and happy playing

4 Likes

I take off all of them to be able to get a good cleaning in. I, like many others have said, recommend doing the setup yourself.

3 Likes

That would work ok for changing to the same strings but going to a different string set with different tension, all bets are off.

Also even with the same strings the tension is a bit different until they stretch out, which takes a couple days.

Not an expert here either though, I’ve only done it a few times.

5 Likes

Hey Jerry! I prefer to change them all at once so I can scrub the dust that lurks into my pickups with a soft cloth, also if you want to clean your fretboard with cloth, or the keys on headstock, it’s best to change them all at once. But it doesnt make any diffierence for me :slight_smile: whatever works for u

4 Likes

I worry that the neck will go out of whack due to lack of tension. I would like to take all the strings off and give the fingerboard a bit of oil since it kind of looks dry. I don’t know, if this lock down continues much longer, I may take the plunge and do the deed.

3 Likes

Basses in stores are usually kept with the strings detuned and they are definitely usually shipped that way.

But the key is not to make yourself uncomfortable so waiting is totally fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dooooooooooooooooooo it!!!

Or not🤔
@howard is right, do what’s comfortable.

If it’s more comfortable to do it then wait, do it.
But,
If you are not comfortable doing it at all, then wait.

Or, look for an old for a total thrasher Bass for like $25, go buy it, and practice full set ups and tune ups on it, and become comfortable doing it, and then set your baby up???

3 Likes