Newb question

I know the E, A, D, & G note strings but in the new module Josh taught us about the 3rd fret being the G note, the 5th being the A note & the 7th fret being the B note. Its this just a musical intersection or is there something I’m misunderstanding?

Thanks btw.

each fret represents a half step along the music alphabet. so, plucking the thickest string closest to your head without touching a fret is an E, then you count up the alphabet in half steps:

open = E
1st fret = F
2nd fret = F sharp
3rd fret = G
4th fret = G sharp
5th fret = A
6th fret = A sharp
7th fret = B
etc…

7th fret is defintely not a G so i suspect you may have misread/misheard that. also note that there is no such thing as an E sharp, so the 1st fret goes from the open E right to an F (not an E sharp).

3 Likes

Sorry I mistyped. I meant the 7th fret is a G note.

Well… not to confuse the newbs here but just because E# is played at the same position as F doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. :nerd_face:

Greetings from someone who just learnt a song in F#. :wink:

5 Likes

This is the best video to clarify note identification in music (in general) and bass (specifically).
You may be familiar with the teacher…

1 Like

Good point. I’ve seen it a few times and scratched my head as I’m not well versed in the theory. It shows up on F#m songs sometimes lol.

2 Likes

Yep, E# is legit in sharp-rich keys.

1 Like

That 5th fret is also special in that every note is the next string up which allows for a quick tuning trick. Are you practicing on your own and can’t find your tuner? Just push the E string down on the 5th fret and pluck both the E and the A string. Make the A string sound like the E on 5th. Then move up a string and repeat.

On a 6 string guitar (not bass), you would move up the 4th fret starting with the G string but for bass, it’s not a concern unless you’re using a weird tuning or something. I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re trying to play with backing music or what have you.

Once you learn harmonics, you can use quick tune that’s a bit easier to hear using the 5th and 7th fret harmonics.

Also, pop a harmonic on the 12 fret of the E and D strings and you can quickly do a drop D tuning.

Keep in mind, a tuner is always the preferred way but I’d rather have the knowledge and not need it than to need it an not have it.

?

The 7th fret is a B as per the previous diagram.