Newbie wanting to try the bass

Will this be the next “Tell us your age” thread ? :smiley:

@stuka1166 welcome to the bass world!

I guess you can never go wrong with any Jazz Bass! I would recommend going to the music shop and trying it out however (if you haven’t of course) Even if you have never played any instrument before just go and touch it and touch other instruments as well…

7 Likes

I went that route and it worked out fine. As others have pointed out, it didn’t stop me from wanting something else after more experience. Now I have 2 and they are both terrific for different reasons.

7 Likes

Welcome @stuka1166 !!

I am in the same boat as you (in more ways than one)…

1. I am in my 50’s and just starting out. By the way, Beginner to Badass is a fantastic program!
  2. I share the “curse” of wanting nice things right off the bat vs. having to upgrade later and did similar to you, wanting a higher end instrument. I echo what others have said, if you can afford it, want it, and it might make you inclined to play more often - GO FOR IT! I went with a U.S. made Fender Jazz as my first Bass five months ago when I started, and have zero regrets. So much so, that I now proudly own, a MiM Fender P-Bass (wanted the different tones) and two other basses! Yes, I have “GAS” (which if you don’t know yet, is Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

As far as amps, as @PamPurrs said, the Fender Rumble 40 is a great place to start, also what @JoshFossgreen recommends in his gear video which you can find here on the site. I now have a Ampeg BA-210 (1. Because I can and found a honey of a deal, and 2. For the eventual day I am able to play in front of people). :smiley:

In closing, I am not sure where you’d meet a finer group of folks than right here in the Bass Buzz family. Welcome again!

9 Likes

I’m also a newbie, at 45. I play drums but decided to try bass as a lot of my drummer friends also play bass and they said I should try it. I would have loved to have gotten a sparkly Music Man bass but I didn’t have $3K LOL. So I have a Yamaha and a rumble 15 amp and I love playing it. I figure I can always upgrade once I have the $$ to do so :wink:
I’m also going to take the Beginner badass course. Can’t wait!

7 Likes

Hello stuka1166, This newbie has you all beat. I am 77 and just started playing this year with the help of Josh. I played drums in high school and have always loved the rhythm section. I am having a great time with my short scale Gretsch ($300.00) and Fender Rumble 40. I haven’t missed many days practicing and am making progress every day. Here’s wishing you luck with your lessons. Carol

12 Likes

@caroljh welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, please tell us more about yourself here.

We have 2 things in common… I started learning bass at 70 and I also played drums in high school (I was kicked out of the high school band). Since bass is a rhythm instrument, it goes hand in hand with drums.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the old saying: The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, but the next best option is to plant it today.

I started at age 34 and have often regretted not starting earlier. I think about missed opportunities I had back in school where I had access to music teachers who were eager to teach me music and music theory but I couldn’t be bothered at the time.
Nothing I can do about that now, but it is never too late to learn a new skill, and starting at 77 proves that perfectly. Enjoy the ride, it is an extremely rewarding experience to watch yourself grow into the instrument and Josh’s lessons make it so very achievable.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @caroljh! Age means nothing here because music is eternal. Enjoy the course and everyone here is willing to help.

7 Likes

Hi Jim,
Jim here!

After many years of putting it off, I finally at the age of 50, I picked up the bass, and I cant put it down! I love it.
I started out with a new Yamaha BB234, and learning here with Josh! He is a great instructor, always learning always joking. I have bought a couple of more basses since then.
My most favorite bass is my 1982 Peavey T-40. Mind blowing instrument.
For Amps I have a few suggestions.
I practice (yes everyday) through a VOX AP2-BS
My Peavey T-115 amp, it works great, good sound.
I now have a bass stack (lots of gear) that I play through.

I hope this helps, Play on Brother!!!
Jim

8 Likes

Welcome @caroljh and @jimbo

5 Likes

I’m five years older than you. I’ve been taking in person lessons once a week for 5 months from a good teacher. I recommend a nice easy to play Ibanez in the $400 range.

6 Likes

Hi Carol,

Seeing your post made my day! I’m curious to find out what the biggest challenge has been on this new adventure of yours.

Harold

5 Likes

I think back to my first electric guitar in the 90’s and my friends reaction when they tried it. They were amazed how easy it was to play. I hadn’t given it much thought until I tried theirs and thought “oh dear” or something to that effect.

Now I hadn’t bought an expensive guitar - think it was probably about the equivalent of US$500 in today’s money, but the neck on that thing was buttery smooth and, not that I knew it at the time, the action was really good.

My takeaway from this is whilst getting a higher cost instrument is awesome, just make sure it feels nice. Even as a newby, just hold it and have a go at fretting a note or two.

Just wish that 19 year old me had continued playing instead of keeping the guitar in the cupboard for so many years.

Also, if you are trying out your new bass, don’t be afraid to ask one of the people in the shop to play your “short list”. I did this with my first bass and it helped me pick the Squire Jazz over the Squire P bass.

4 Likes

HA!
One word…GAS

4 Likes

Don’t think going “cheap” means going low quality either. Both my Charvel Eliminator and Ibanez RD707 were sub $300.00 buys and they are great basses. Pictured RD707

6 Likes

In non-covid times, the best advice I would have is to buy used. I got my TRBX604 for about $320 in pristine condition, I just bought a Pacifica 112 in very good shape for about $150, and I have resold plenty of gear for a profit after buying it used and upgrading later.

The used market for instruments is by far the best way to go, it just takes patience. Unfortunately right now it’s also carrying an element of health risk as well, but in normal times, I always feel like I failed if I have to buy new :slight_smile:

Much better to let someone else’s broken rockstar dreams take that initial gear depreciation hit.

1 Like

Hey PamPurrs, A little more about this old gma; I played drums in a 3 piece combo for a while then became too busy with married life and let those times go. I don’t expect to play in public and that’s not my goal. Just learning something new to keep active. I went skydiving at age 72 and loved it! I have a wonderful daughter who supports me by listening to me try a new lesson and an equally wonderful grandson who is serving with the 82nd Airborne at Ft. Bragg, NC. “77 and enjoying life.”

6 Likes

Hey Hoopscoach, I have to say, scales are a challenge. I am not too patient and quit practicing them too quickly. I also have trouble spreading my fingers to reach the notes others seem to do with ease. But a challenge is what I was looking for when I started this, so I will keep on keeping on. Thanks for asking.

4 Likes

Welcome, you come to the right place. Everyone here will help if you need it.
I started at 68 yrs old. good luck.

5 Likes

Welcome to the show! I’m in the same boat about wanting nice things right off the bat lol.

Take this for what it’s worth… An awful lot of people recommend the Fender Rumble 100 as a good beginner bass amp. And it is. I had one myself.

The thing is, you mentioned those iconic 60s & 70s rock bassists… I promise you that you will never sound like that on a Class D solid state amp. I don’t mean your playing ability, that’s up to you. I mean your sound, your tone. Class D fundamentally sounds different than Class A, or even Class A/B, tube amps.

A/B is a power efficiency thing “improvement” over A, and is a dirty/clean thing. A is dirtier than A/B, and less power efficient. Even a hybrid, with tubes in the pre- and solid state power, will sound better than all Class D.

Do yourself a favor and check out a Marshall 15W DSL15C. They’re OOP, but you can find a used one for ~400-$500. Yes it’s a guitar amp. That really doesn’t mean anything. And yes it’s only 15W. That also doesn’t mean anything. You’re not playing open air concerts, you don’t need 500W+. You don’t even need 100W (or people wouldn’t recommend the 40W Fender Rumble 40).

You’re playing in your living room. You could make do with 5W, as long as you don’t dime it. 15W will be plenty. And in a year when you go gig, they’re just going to mic you through the PA anyway.

And it will sound right.

4 Likes