Newbie wanting to try the bass

Wow! I got mine used from Musician’s Friend for $500. Left-handed, glossy finish style wood. Maple neck.

4 Likes

I am 58 years old, bald and fat. But I have dreams to be a 58 year old bald and fat bass GOD! Just kidding. I am also a failed guitar player that struggled for years and never got anywhere with my playing. I got rid of the guitar equipment and bought a bass (first one) an LTD B50 FM and a Peavey Basic 112 amp. It was enough to get me hooked. A week later I got a Vintage VJ74 Re-Issue and an Ampeg B108 amp. I just ordered a Zoom B1 to get effects cheaply and will be starting the B2B course shortly. The bass seemed to come natural and I understand the damned thing. I play everyday, study a lot of the free online lessons, and really really enjoy the act of just noodling around on it. I did switch to flats on one of them and will probably do the same with the other as the sound and feel are awesome. You are never too old to make yourself happy. If bass playing on good equipment makes you happy, do as much of it as you can.

5 Likes

Sounds like the same route I took.
After 50 years of acoustic and electric guitar I just started Bass at the beginning of this year.

My experience is that as far as playing is concerned I found it easier.

To get going you can play complete songs using just Root notes or Roots and Fifths. On a 4 string Bass, in standard tuning, the tuning is the same as the bottom four strings of an Acoustic or Electric guitar so I already knew the fretboard.

The B2B course is fantastic for beginners and I have never seen any complaints.
You will enjoy it.

Good luck :+1:

4 Likes

Bunch of young whipper-snappers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I’m 71 and just started this year.

I never buy cheap when it comes to instruments. I learned that lesson a long time ago.
I purchase what draws me to it and have never looked back.

I am playing a Yamaha TRBX504 which with hard shell case and padded strap ran me about $800.
No regrets.

@lee_editorial Hopefully you are taking the B2B course.

4 Likes

You and I have much in common. I bought my first bass as a 70th birthday present to myself and have never looked back.

4 Likes

Wow so cool to see many words of encouragement here. I am 39 and have started learning bass. I have recently bought a Fender Jazz because when I was in high school I wanted it but my dad didn’t have enough money to buy it for me. Yes, better late than never.

6 Likes