Nice discovery

Over the years I tried a lot of PBass pickups and I find something great and at a low price.
I am so impress,
Does someone else try…

Wilkinson M-series WOPB Variable Gauss Alnico 5 Precision Bass Humbucker Pickups Vintage Tone Set for 4-string PB Style Electric Bass, Black.

My opinion… hreat sounding and at $40 CAD it’s a really good Deal, and a nice looking pickups.

Mike

4 Likes

I’ve got a strat with all Wilkinson parts on it. Pickups. Bridge. All of it. Love the quality and tone. Also lots of their tuning gears on basses too. Good pull!!

4 Likes

I agree with you at 100%, for me Wilkinson are underestimate good parts.

Mike

5 Likes

I have a Wilkinson which is half MusicMan and half Jazz (is that Mazz or JazzMan ?) with a coil split - three very distinct sounds. The quality of the product is excellent, and I thought it was very reasonably priced (£35 a couple of years ago).
Wilkinson

4 Likes

I had a Wilkinson bridge on a guitar that was… okay. Not bad. Part of this is colored by the fact that I hate trems though :rofl:

3 Likes

I was never a big Fan of Wilkinson, for me it was China parts with a brand name, but since I discovered this pickups, I begin to respect it, but still think it’s a China parts with a Name.

2 Likes

I have a few Wilkinson hardware parts here and there, and everything is pretty good quality. The trem on my 90’s japanese Starfield is a Wilkinson and it’s a really good trem, it can compare to the Fender MIA range. Also the fixed bridges are good quality, I even know a french luthier who makes instruments in the 2500-3500€ range and uses Wilkinson bridges.

That said, I don’t have Wilkinson pickups, but it seems to be similar (range-wise) to Tonerider’s or GFS’s. Quite good pickups actually.

4 Likes

Apparently, the better Wilkinson bridges are actually MIJ by Gotoh, so are probably better than stock bridges on MIA instruments.

No idea about the pickups.

3 Likes

very possible. mine on the Starfield has a quite impressive steel block, something you don’t find on every Fender.

4 Likes

The one on my Cort was solid enough and I was able to lock it forward effectively, so mission accomplished :rofl:

I doubt it was a Gotoh though. At least compared to my other Gotoh bridges.

1 Like

In theory I will get a Cort this week (it’s a trade) and this guitare has a Wilkinson bridge … not sure it’s the same than the one on my Starfield. those instruments are not at all in the same price range.

And yes, Gotoh is a very high quality brand. Not sure you can get much higher, except Shaller probably.

3 Likes

Yeah, I really like them. Not too expensive either!

2 Likes

yeah, true. to sum up, for me Gotoh and Wilkinson are a good choice. I’m considering Gotoh locking tuners for the Strat I’m currently assembling. more to come in the “guitar” thread :grin:

3 Likes

Interesting. Apparently the better Wilkinson pickups are also MIJ. At least according to Hosco (kind of like the StewMac of Japan).

2 Likes

I aggree with you at 100%,
For me Wilkinson is under estimate and they are really good parts, pickups and hardware
Mike

1 Like

You are right, but now I think they all are made in China. Amd now China produced really good hardware and kepp it at low price.
When I was young we always laugh at the Japanease parts, and they turn to be the Best, I really thing, the same story will happend with China product
Indonesia guitar are actually really good.
Mike

1 Like

I’ve tried a few. They are not bad at all just a tad too hot but most pickups in similar range are a tad hot anyways. Good bang for the bucks for sure.

3 Likes

You are right, I notice that on the single coils Stratocaster too, but for me the tone of this P Bass pickup is really close to the Fender Original or the Fender 62-63.
It’s really well made and look really good.
As you say, Great Price too.
Mike

3 Likes

There is a Suhr Classic T Antique for sale, here in France. It sells for 2850€ (used). And it has a Wilkinson bridge.

3 Likes

Those Guitar have a really good reputation, because of the Humbucker and single coil Pickups and, yes they install a Wilkinson Bridge.
WILKINSON Made a lot of good products and they still do. Even, if now, most are Made in China, they are still great.

1 Like