No fretboard inlays

Thx.
I expect this will be similar to me. I was curious about what are other people’s experiences.

1 Like

The Sandberg I had didn’t have any inlays, dots or blocks, just naked fretboard. Side dots were just fine for my playing.

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I like the look of no fret markers, but they are very convenient.

Got a little bit of everything there :sweat_smile:
The Roman numerals on the Schecter Evil Twin sure look hot :fire:

3 Likes

What I really appreciate are luminlay side dots - super helpful in low lighting conditions. No need to go all Mark King here :grin:

5 Likes

My friend has an unlined fretless ebony fingerboard he covered the side dots with black marker. He could see it. The first time I played it I was stumped and he didn’t say anything, lol. After a few minutes my eyes adjusted and I could see the faintly covered dots, while maintaining my best poker face I started playing in tune. He gave me a weird look then said you found the dots, we burst out laughing.

3 Likes

Give the upright a try. No dots and no lines, strictly muscle memory.

5 Likes

My hat’s off to you, @PamPurrs. Nothing but love, but no thanks. :grimacing:

1 Like

I have a few with no inlays. Definitely not an issue. This one I think has the light up side dots. I haven’t figured out how to turn the on yet. LOL . I have been meaning to send the builder a text, but feel stupid asking. There is no switch that I can find. The second picture is one he sent me before it shipped.

dots2

3 Likes

If they are Luminlay dots, you just hold a flashlight up against them to charge them. It’s the same process as charging luminescent numbers on a watch face.

I have no idea how long they shine per charge.

3 Likes

HAHA… brilliant! I didn’t think of that. I never really went out of my way to look at Luminlays. I thought they were light up LED’s or something. Now I just need to figure out how to turn my flashlight on :rofl: (That last bit is sarcasm)

2 Likes

Or just lay it under a lamp, or in the sun for a while. My wristwatch has luminous hands, but also recharges from solar, so that’s how I do it when it runs down.

2 Likes

Or you can use Luminlay LED Light Charger :rofl:

https://luminlay.com/productsen.html

5 Likes

The uv flashlight or black light works much better and faster especially when you want to use it on a dark stage. A few seconds and you are good to go for a couple of songs fully charged.

2 Likes

Yeah, I read on the Luminlay site that an LED flashlight works great.

My new Mayones build will have Luminlay dots. I’ll get to try ‘em firsthand. In a year, at least. :pensive:

1 Like

@jacq For me fretboard edge dots are a definite yes. Inlays on top of the fretboard not so much but they do finish off the appearance nicely. IMHO

It’s funny that this was brought up because anytime I look at guitars, basses, and ukuleles the first thing I look for is the inlays on the fretboard itself and I could never figure out why if they do have them some manufacturers do not include an inlay at the third fret but do include edge dots for it.

Bottom line for me - If it did not have edge dots, at least, it would be a no go.YMMV

3 Likes

Short answer is no I don’t miss the inlays. I look at the side dots and the frets more than anything if I’m looking at the neck at all. I spend more time looking at where I’m plucking if I’m honest. I’m always trying to keep around the sweet spot for the tone I want.

4 Likes