No fretboard inlays

Quick question for those of you who have basses without fretboard inlays.
Assuming of course you had previous experience playing instruments with inlays on the fretboard. Also in most basses without inlays, you still have side dots marking frets.

Do you miss them (inlays)? Was it hard to switch? Do you even notice the change?

3 Likes

I don’t have any basses without inlays, so I can’t really answer your question, but what I can say is that it wouldn’t matter to me. I only look at the side dots, never at the inlays. I can’t really see them anyway, unless I bend over forward, or lift the bass up towards me.

4 Likes

I have had both and might prefer the dots. Or smaller inlays.

3 Likes

I have one bass without any inlays, just dots on the side. That’s more than enough to know what fret you’re at.
I do like block inlays though, they look really good :blush:

4 Likes

Yeah, this is exactly my thinking but… in practice, it may be different. :slight_smile:

I shall find out soon :wink:

2 Likes

Mike is of course correct but do you want block or dots on the edge of the fretboard…

…and if you want dots, 1mm or 2mm ?

choices, choices, choices…

Oh yeah, me too! I’m a sucker for rosewood fretboards with white pearloid block inlays :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I really like the small inlays Yamaha uses on the BB’s.

3 Likes

This is the reason I asked :slight_smile:

7 Likes

My Michael Kelly has more tattoos than a Hells Angels biker, but I do not use them. There are so many that I can’t keep track. I am trying to just use the side dot markers. I’m brand new to bass and as a learning aid I have placed thin strips of tape on the back side of the neck at appropriate places. I can feel these with my left hand thumb and orient my hand without having to find the right side marker.

2 Likes

If your looking at the inlays when you play, your posture is bad and you will develop a sore neck and back. You should only be looking at the side dots, if anything at all. The inlays are merely decorative IMO.
Just my 2 cents worth.

6 Likes

Indeed!

5 Likes

My 2 cents: Side dots are for players, fretboard markers are for their bandmates and especially useful for learning, teaching or collaborating.

6 Likes

I don’t use the front inlays, but side markers are a must.

4 Likes

Well, we did manage to learn looking at a bass without inlays :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Me, too, @Mike_NL.

I’ve owned basses with dot inlays, no inlays at all, and block inlays. My fave is blocks, and my new build will have ‘em.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m in the same camp. I love block inlays and don’t get me started with white bindings. I love them.

At the end of the day like @Korrigan said I nlays are for other people not the player. Player need dots and maybe lines, lol.

2 Likes

Playing a bass without inlays was easy. Turns out I didn’t pay attention to them

3 Likes

I like older model more.

There’s no wrong note then, right? :smile_cat:

That thing is awful shiny. Nice rig ya got there!