No internet and no power. Wow

Friday night we had high wind here in socal by early hours in the morning the falling tree knocked one of the transformer out in my area.

It’s funny. Only 60% of my light works and there’s no internet. My cell data is also affected.

I’ve come to realize that life without internet is very difficult almost unbearable, lol. Last year we had a total blackout in our area for 40 hrs. But we had cell data I had all the lights and power banks as well as tablets for each. It seems it was much easier to deal with than no internet

This Of course a total first world problem. Plus if I really need internet I could go down the street and I can pickup cell network. Lol

2 Likes

Bummer @Al1885… Hopefully they’ll get everything up again and you can get back to 100% power and Internet.

It’s funny how we all over time get dependent on certain things like Internet and all… Kinda why I left the burbs and moved back to the country years ago. No public water or sewer - have a well and septic system (me and my little buddy Griff like to go outside and pee on trees anyway)… No Natural Gas or LP gas (Connie and I are old retired people and forget things - like turning off the stove)… we do have public electricity which works “most” of the time, but I did wire in a generator set that we run to power half the house when needed… As for Internet,… haven’t had that for years either - just use data to do what we need. Heck, we don’t even have cable or satellite TV out here - just an antenna that gives us plenty to watch when we do have enough free time to sit down and watch it… :sweat_smile:

Hang in there Al… Things are bound to get better… :grinning:

Stay Safe!
Lanny

7 Likes

in november 2019, there has been a very local small storm where I used to live. a huge quantity of snow in one night. 25% of the trees of the area felt. we had a total blackout for more than one week because the trees destroyed the electric cables when they felt down. This means : no internet, no light, but also no heat in the houses (stupid all-electric setups …). it was not fun at all.

5 Likes

This gave me a laugh and took me back to 1977 when we moved out of the big city, Toronto.

I live in rural Ontario and a generator and good sized snowblower are a must have, IMHO. :+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Someone on the local forum was saying that we have 72v of power. Dunno what that mean but I know I can’t turn on the tv or pretty much anything except a few lights.

2 Likes

@Al1885 I feel your pain. We’ve had 3 outages this winter. My better half and I have been been forced to talk to each other with no internet. The poor woman :wink:

5 Likes

I’m just in the process of going off grid with the exception of a satellite dish for a limited amount of data. Very daunting to be honest and it certainly will be different from normal living

3 Likes

I think it was right there for us too but fortunately we found a few spots in the house that can get cell data. But something great did happen. It was a once in a life time opportunity for my kids.

We taught them how to wash clothes by hand and hang them dry. Lol

4 Likes

Basically a “brown out”. Not enough power to meet demand. This can damage things very easily esp anything with electronics. Unplug anything that might turn on automatically or suck any electricity until things look ok again.

5 Likes

Oh crap it’s too late. We’ve been on that mode for the last 2 days. Seriously I don’t know how bad.

First we heard it was a tree that knocked the transformer down. The latest an hour ago was a Mylar ballon’s. From the birthday party at the park that caused this.

2 Likes

Omg fingers crossed. It’s back on and so far everything works. Except for one light panel in the kitchen. I can definitely live with that. I think I’m gonna cry.

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth.

No phone lines and no cable here. Hardly any mobile reception. Sat for internet. Septic and well like @Lanny but we do get gas. Even though things are limited I don’t think I could do the city life. Heck I’d like to move more remote.

@Al1885 glad to hear its coming back but next time you find yourself without power (as long as its not a nature disaster of course) take the time to disconnect and zone out. After all your bass can still be played acoustically.

4 Likes

Had Sat for years. Just got cable lines. Gas lines just came in 4 years ago.
The main reason I purchased a generator was the number of power outages we get, some for days, and being on septic I was concerned about the other important necessity of country living I forgot to mention - a sump pump with a backup.

When my power goes out for more than an hour I connect the generator and and my appliances, less the stove, TV, Internet, Furnace and a few lights are back up and running in short order. This just the way of life is in the country and like you I could not live in a city again. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes