Non-Professional Microphone Options

Hey guys, I’m looking to place a mic in the middle of the studio for recording our jam sessions with my band - lead, rhythm, drums, 2 vocals and myself on the greatest instrument of them all!
Not looking for a professional recording, a few steps up from recording audio with a phone is fine! Plug into my Focusrite, hit record and a jam away.

1 Like

This is what I use when I want to record a jam session. It plugs right into your phone. You can do video and/or audio. It has a few settings to make sure you get good quality sound. You can also get just the mic without all the extras for much less money.

Sound sample with my buddy and me.

1 Like

Wish I had heard of this before I got an Irig. So it handles bass really well?

Much better than a phone mic, but not as well as plugging into a DAW. Very good middle ground and very convenient.

2 Likes

This would do a pretty good job Zoom H1n. Can’t beat it at $100

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H1n--zoom-h1n-handy-recorder

2 Likes

A friend of mine has a Zoom H4 that we used sometimes during jams. Those Zoom H series are probably one of the easiest way to record. The result is quite correct if you take time to find a good place for the mic in the room, assuming that the sound is good and balanced in the room obviously.

2 Likes

I used to own a H1 and it was good.

For guitar, bass and keyboards, no option involving mics will be remotely as good as recording directly into an audio interface. But then you need to mic the drums anyway.

You could also get a mixer, run everything in to it (maybe direct, maybe from DI outs on your amps, etc) and then record from it. This is actually how I would go but you’re getting a lot more complicated than “just hang a mic in the middle of the room” at that point.

1 Like

Yeah, the fact that the Zoom H* gives you a finished mix (with even some kind of leveling / compression) is what makes it especially suitable for beginers or for people who want to get a record easily and with no time on the computer.

2 Likes

I like the way Zoom orients the mics on the H series too. Generally just really easy to use.

1 Like

yeah. that said I’ve had really decent results (for this kind of one-device setup) with my phone.

1 Like