Noob amp question

So those of you that have read my posts, know that I am a total noob. I have a noob question. The one cheap little 20 or 25 watt Stephens amp I repaired and have been using has what looks to be a digital display that looks like a tuner. It doesn’t seem to work though, or maybe it works really crappy? I am not sure if I am using it wrong, or it was a piece of junk when it worked, or its something I need to fix on the amp. (I am good at electronics repair)

It seems way all over the place and SUCKs trying to tune on it vs my little clip on tuner. Whats the deal with this thing? Do they just suck? Or is a properly working one worth using?

Heres a pic of it.

2 Likes

Also, an addon question. I just recently fixed a whole bunch of amps. They are all missing the backs, because someone has been in them before, at least to look. Does having the back on make for better sound? I felt like it might, so I made a back for the one pictured above, and I really didn’t notice a difference in sound. Is it worth making backs for the rest of them? I mean it obviously helps keep crap out of them (dog hair), but does it really matter much?

1 Like

Just checking, is this a bass amp or a guitar amp? If it is a guitar amp and not a chromatic tuner then you might have problems. If it is a chromatic tuner, which most are nowadays then it should work. Chromatic just means it isn’t locked into a specific frequency range. It is possible it is just a bad tuner or doesn’t work. A video would help more than a picture to give advice here.

As for back of amps, I’m sure it impacts the sound as the amp would have been designed with the back in mind, but as the sound is coming out of the front primarily I doubt it is noticeable to the average listener. However, I would keep the back on for protecting the amp.

3 Likes

Its a guitar amp. I’m still too much of a noob to know what a chromatic tuner is, or isn’t. I’ve also built backs for the other 2 amps. I figured they were designed with them, so they are supposed to have them. Plus it keeps crap from getting in there. As for the built in tuner, ??? IDK, I’m not putting my money on it being accurate even when it was new.

2 Likes

I think as a general rule, standalone tuners are considered better (more accurate) than built-in tuners (to amps or multi-effects devices). This is not always the case though. If you are confident that your clip-on tuner is accurate enough, then I’d just stick with that for now.

2 Likes

it may be ok?
I’d have to see a video of you playing your bass and what the tuner is doing.

1 Like

@IIIQuaZIII

Be careful.
Guitar amps are not designed to handle the lower frequencies of a Bass.
If you crank that amp up sooner or later you will blow the speaker.

Also the tonal quality from the guitar amp when used with a Bass will be nowhere near what it should be.

1 Like

It’s an old amp for sure, this version has wood. Looks pretty cool! https://jedistar.com/stephens-audio/

3 Likes

Yeah a couple people have told me that. But, for what I’m doing with it now its fine. I dont crank it up. I am just sitting practicing quietly. I wouldnt try to use it at a show or anything. I also have a 50 watt “Stage” brand stand alone amp with a 12" speaker I built a box for that sounds a lot better than this thing. I was considering trying a sub woofer in the box for that.

1 Like

Practicing through a guitar amp at low volume is absolutely fine. It’ll start to ‘flubb out’ (technical term i invented) when you crank it but if it’s what you’ve got, then it’s the right amp for now.

3 Likes

I know exactly what you mean by Flubb out…lol. I over drived the little 10 watt fender with the like 4" speaker in it passed 1/3rd volume lol.

1 Like

Reviving an old thread so as not to multiply the threadcount.

I’m in the market for a used amp. I went the DI/DAI route before I moved to Oilberta and sold my Rumble 25. However, I’m finding myself missing playing through an amp.

So, I have a chance to get something like this for a decent price:

It’s a behringer 4*10 combo, apparently 400W. The reviews are generally positive, with the caveat that it’s porky AF. Any thoughts?

Alternatively, for $50-100 less I can get a Traynor 1*15 100W or a Rumble 100 for the same price.

WWSD?

1 Like

The only input I have is the Rumble 100 is super light and sounds great at levels that won’t get your neighbours calling the bylaw officer.

Unlike it’s bigger brother the 800. It has no fan so it’s completely quiet when you aren’t playing.

4 Likes

Do you have any music shops near you?

Oh yeah, theres a few.

1 Like

I reccomend going in and playing through every bass amp they have. Just to get a feel for the different sounds. Particularly, to see how much the Rumble made a difference to you. Also, it’ll give you a broader perspective when testing out the used gear.

Other than that, the only reason you might need the extra wattage would be if you plan on playing with others.

2 Likes