Noob question... swapping strings

Just wondering… can we take strings off to try something different and then swap back onto the same instrument again latter? Does removing, storing and then re-stringing the strings stretch / change/ damage them in any way?

All the chat on here of different string types and their different tone got me wondering. Between my son and I we have 2 instruments, and are happy with the tone of both. But in the interests of exploring the art of the possible… and my ongoing G.A.S issues… I got to wondering about trying something different for a while.

6 Likes

I think @PamPurrs swaps strings back and forth so she would probably have some good insights for you.

5 Likes

Yes indeed you can, @pauls1024 . . . :slight_smile:

No, it doesn’t . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

@pauls1024

Not a problem.
You may have to check and adjust the neck relief if you get string buzz with a string gauge change.

In case you were wondering, it is not necessary to change the strings one at a time.
This is also a good time to oil the fretboard and clean around the tuners, bridge and pickup(s), which are not so accessible with the strings on.

5 Likes

Thanks folks. Fast and knowledgeable responses. So I can go shopping again!

6 Likes

@pauls1024, I’m sure your better 3/4 will be thrilled :wink:

5 Likes

I do it all the time @pauls1024, sometimes multiple times.

6 Likes

Unless your bass has a floating bridge :grimacing:

5 Likes

You may want to do a search in the forums for “fretboard oil” to get some advice on what to use.

4 Likes

You have to be a bit careful with round core (as opposed to hex core) strings, as they need to be crimped quite a bit when first strung, in order to avoid slippage. Those strings are harder to re-string then… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks Pam. I had to look up floating bridge : https://www.mabeybridge.com/__data/assets/image/0008/11051/varieties/1200.jpg

Luckily my bass does not have a floating bridge! Thanks for the advice @PamPurrs . So it makes sense to add some fretboard oil to my shopping list too @Celticstar .

I’m having lots of fun learning bass this week! Seems like a lot to learn about and its all great!

7 Likes

Good idea to checkout the fretboard if I’m swapping strings @Celticstar… so now I have something else to research.

@PamPurrs you mentioned wood working and Danish oil in an old thread… would that be suitable as fretboard oil? Or is there something special about fretboard oil? I just had a look in my shed and I have Parrafin oil, Danish oil, Wax and varnish … I have a lot of Danish oil.

A lot of people seem to be recommending snakeoil. But it is quite expensive.

6 Likes

I use Howard Feed-N-Wax. Wood polish & Conditioner on my fretboards and wood grain body’s I have on my basses. My 🪙🪙 cents.:wink:

5 Likes

I just created this topic… Fretboard Oil.

4 Likes

I’ll pop over for a look there then. Thanks @eric.kiser.

3 Likes

Danish oil works great, I also occasionally use cutting board oil.

4 Likes

That’s what I hoped you would say Pam. Thanks

4 Likes

I’ve been in a string rabbit hole for a while now, finally coming back out and seeing daylight.

If you do take strings off and plan to store them a long time, clean them (wipe with a soft cloth) to get as much oils from your hands off as you can, they will simply last longer and oxidize slower. A ziptop bag with the air pushed out is a good idea too. Oxidation won’t happen overnight, or even very soon, but hey, they add up in $ and better to keep them as long as possible in good condition.

Maybe we can start a ‘string swap’ if people have strings they no longer want and can have others try out? Not sure how that woudl work, but sounds cool.

6 Likes

Keep in mind that strings experience more stress at the contact points with the bass body, i.e., over the saddles of the bridge (and even other parts of the bridge depending on how it is constructed), on the nut, and potentially from a string tree etc.

So, re-using strings should be something you do very occasionally, not routinely (at least, that would be my advice).

I tried it once and found that the B string was pretty dead when re-strung. I think B strings (or thicker strings, in general) experience more of that stress I mentioned before.

2 Likes