Notation systems

Josh & Gio,

Until now I never saw the bass in this light! That is very cool!

2 Likes

Yes, I’ll try! That’s the most important!
Viva la musica!!
Grazie Gio, sereno fine settimana

2 Likes

Haha, oh goodness. We should really record us playing better so that’s not the only video of us playing together.

I don’t, I went to a community college for a couple years but then just dropped out to keep gigging. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed.

Now… if only I knew a bassist with a sweet video set up… dang.

2 Likes

Great, it’s like you’ve born with a bass between your arms…

2 Likes

Haha not quite, but my dad did play bass for me while I was in my crib. Of course I still had to/have to practice just like every other human who doesn’t have access to Matrix-style skill-downloading.

1 Like

Ooh, you got me grinning ear to ear there!

2 Likes

Nothing better than having from an early age someone in the house who plays and loves music, it’s an experience that marks you for life! Who has not lived it can not understand …

3 Likes

I learned the french music notation Do re mi fa sol la si do, but when I started this class, I decided to learn the abcdefg. With this course, I quickly memorized all the non sharp/flat up to 15th fret on all 4 strings.
And as mentionned by Josh it REALLY improved my participation in the band.

Now, I need to put away my metric education and learn the imperial since Josh refer to “feet” in the lessons about intervals. :joy:

3 Likes

Hahah! I think you can safely just do conversions for imperial to metric, the ABCDEFG is a lot more useful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello guys!

I was about to start a new topic about my indecision with investing in the English notation of music or the Italian but the well designed forum system suggested me to go through this wonderful thread first. While I write these lines it is asking me “Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?” and I am like “Hell yeah!”

I made my first brush with playing music in middle school with obligatory solfeggio lessons being have to play the “recorder” flute which I kept loosing the parts and punished by the teachers for it! This was back in Turkey where I am originally from. It was all about “Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do” then…

I live in Italy now and my slightly younger Italian wife explained me that they were to chose between recorder and keyboard, which most have chosen (as I would have if there was this option!). I did not have a chance to hear her playing yet but the way she keeps nagging me to learn the sheet reading (in a way only ones wife could!) I guess she knows her stuff!
(This part was to answer @Gio’s question about Music education in Italy)

Since I started paying attention to music theory only here in B2B thanks to Josh I am picking up the English notation system. I don’t know if I would be playing with other musicians but if I do I am sure they would be favoring more the Italian (also Turkish) notation.

I am curious how it turned out for @stefanospinelli

Also curious if Josh and Gio did record playing Bach again!

6 Likes

The system automatically generates those messages, @Fahri

There is nothing at all wrong with continuing an ‘old’ conversation either . . . it’s preferable to starting multiple threads on the same topic! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Not yet!
FUNKY BACH - A SERIES OF BASS DUETS (the way Bach intended) has been shelved by our record label due to concerns the release of said album would pull such massive crowds of people to retail outlets that it wouldn’t be in the interest of public safety during this pandemic.

Real answer - no. We haven’t.

5 Likes

I had the same concerns as we use the French notation around here. I took the English online option nevertheless, even though I must admit that I still have trouble sorting things out in my head :thinking:
Maybe I should draw myself a chart and stare at it every day to let things settle in :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well worth going back through old posts @JoshFossgreen @Gio

2 Likes

I have been playing with the website linked in the original discussion here. Loving it so far… @Krescht it might just be the thing for you as well!

Note Identification

3 Likes

@Fahri, thanks for the hint. I should have checked out the links in the discussion :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Fahri,
I don’t have much to add to the discussion.
In fact, I had to stop playing for a long time because of an annoying pain in my left shoulder. It took me several months to make it go away and in the sequel I was afraid to resume the bass. Which I have only recently done. I’m still trying to recover the technical level I had before I quit. And I didn’t study the notes from the scores, but for the moment I follow the tabs.
The intention remains to move on to direct reading of the scores - I am convinced that it is the best method for mastering the instrument. As for the type of notation, living here - and knowing it since my childhood - I will try to study following the Italian system.
Greetings to everybody!!

4 Likes

Well, both are useful to learn by heart. It really depends with whom you’re trying to communicate. I also learned solfège when I was a kid (mandatory musical education) and it sticked. My first contact with the anglo-saxon system was, to be honest, hell.

It didn’t make sense at first using simple letters to represent notes. Specially when ‘A’ isn’t a ‘Dó’.
However, most of the internet universe I consume - especially music related - is in english so eventually it started to make sense.

As the time passed I stopped needing to translate from “c” to “ok this is a dó”. Don’t get me wrong, I still call it a ‘dó’, but I’ll write ‘c’ without thinking much about it. The same for terms like “sharp” (sustenido in portuguese) and “flat” (bemol).

Some other stuff is still a bit rough and I find myself having brain-paralysis-moments trying to translate the term so I can communicate. And this goes both ways! Sometimes I know the english term but not the portuguese/italian one. For this last reason I ended up buying 2 portuguese books. One about musical education basics and another one about jazz essentials. Plot twist, the jazz essentials one uses the anglo-saxon notation.

3 Likes

Love that plot twist!

Next weekend I will have my first brush with local musicians. I am super excited to see how it will be!

5 Likes