OBS Studio / ReaStream

Does anyone use OBS Studio with the ReaStream plugin to bring in the audio from the DAW?

This used to “just work” for me - it’s been a while since I tried recording myself, but as I remember it, it was dead simple to set up, and once it was set up, I didn’t need to change anything.

Recently, I haven’t been able to get ReaStream in OBS to recognize any audio at all. There’s a display of the level that ReaStream sees, and on the sending side (Reaper), I can see the level as I play, but on the receive side, nothing.

I’ve done the google thing, and tried the tips I’ve found - all to no avail. I was just mainly wondering if anyone is successfully using this set-up currently… If so, it would at least let me know that it is possible. :rofl:

Thanks all…

2 Likes

@PamPurrs has some experience with OBS.

2 Likes

@pauls1024 used it alot but i haven’t seen him on the forum for quite awhile. Maybe he’ll see this message and chime in.

2 Likes

Im trying to think of who else i can tag.
@juli0r @gcancella @Krescht @RemcoRG and @JerryP used it at one point. Hopefully one of them can help.

4 Likes

I haven’t used it in quite awhile

3 Likes

Well, I did try to get into recording at some time, but decided it was more important to spend time playing :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I haven’t used it in a couple of years.

2 Likes

If you don’t have a Mac, OBS seems well built for the videos people post here. I have often wondered why it hasn’t gained more traction with the BassBuzz crowd.

3 Likes

I have used it as one of the cameras when I’ve shot multi-cam videos, but find I get much better quality from my Go Pro or even an Android phone.

2 Likes

I find it’s well oriented to live streaming. I’ll use it to feed a Zoom call.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. When I first used it, it was dead simple. I don’t know what happened with the sound, but I think since the last time I tried recording, Reaper, OBS and Windows all updated (and reastream hasn’t). But, there’s no wide-spread reports of problems, so I’m assuming it’s something on my end. Just thought someone else on here might be using it and verify that they weren’t having any problems…

I don’t really understand - you can use them as the input to OBS. Are you saying OBS degrades the quality of the video stream? I get why you wouldn’t be satisfied with OBS :slight_smile: - I don’t think it’s set-up well for things like green-screening or pro video production…

I think that’s it’s main function, but it works well to record a static scene as well… Just gotta figure out why I can no longer feed it DAW audio…

4 Likes

It’s strong suit is live streaming as opposed to video production.

4 Likes

I think I got it (somewhat) sorted.

I removed the ReaStream plugin, and added a send on the master track to “ReaRoute1/2”, and then in OBS added an ASIO input. Adding that input detected the Reaper ReaRoute, and my quick test had my DAW audio in the recording.

So, as far as I can tell, ReaStream still doesn’t work for me, and I don’t know why, but ReaRoute/ASIO should fill that gap. Fingers crossed…

3 Likes