Octave Chart for Bass

@JoshFossgreen, you will laugh at this title (I hope! I know I did) but looky at what I came across at Amazon: “Left-Handed Bass Guitar Theory Nuts & Bolts: Music Theory Explained in Practical, Everyday Context for all Genres.”

I am sure that the “left-handed” part of it is simply showing normal music theory, but using illustrations of chords, scales, triads, etc. on fretboards in the left-handed orientation (mirror image of strings that would be shown otherwise in right-handed orientation, or G at left/top to E at right/bottom). Still, possibly useful, if it explains theory decently, for left-handed bassists.

3 Likes

I can see it being helpful for tab charts.
Shouldn’t matter for notation, but for Tabs, I can see it being a huge help.
I think it would confuse the F@$K out of me if I had to learn everything from left handed charts.
I know it could be done and I could get used to it, but I can see it being a hassle.
I have a few very close friends and a Wife I have not seen in years that are left handed, and the struggle it real. Its more then just the hand you use, it is brain chemistry, and it truly does make some people feel like they are doing everything backwards.
Scissors, Tools, knife handles that are shaped from right handed molds, etc…
Plus
True fact, Left handed men have a larger Corpus Colostrum, the bridge that connects the right and left hemisphere of the brain together. Right handed men have small Corpus Colostrum’s, and that means them, We, I, can only process thought or feelings, one at a time. Women and Left handed men can process Thought and Feelings at the same time.
That would drive me crazy, I can only handle one thing at a time, and I am more Logic driven then Feeling driven.
So, I do believe that left handed people should be catered to more in marketing, consumer goods and many things in day to day living.

1 Like

Now that there’s a lull in the lefty discussion…

@PamPurrs this chart just helped me realize something rather convenient. When it comes to learning the fretboard there’s no need to worry about the sharps and flats, just memorize the naturals and then those are basically freebies. I hope this isn’t discouraged, it seems like a great shortcut to me :pleading_face:

1 Like

Yup. It’s actually even better than that. All you have to do is know where all the Cs and Fs are (and know the relationships to the other notes), and you’ve got the fretboard mastered.

6 Likes

That’s exactly how it’s learned on harp. All the C strings are red and all the F strings are blue. More strings, less frets.

4 Likes