Oils (orange, lemon, etc)

This is what the Lakland FAQ is telling me to do:

Q. What recommendations do you have for maintaining the neck on my Lakland Skyline bass?
A. The necks on our Skyline series are relatively maintenance-free but should be cleaned with pure orange oil periodically. Avoid cleaners that contain added thinners or silicone.

We also recommend orange oil for cleaning the fingerboards. The maple fingerboard does not require any sealer after cleaning. We recommend Howard Brand Feed N Wax after cleaning for our rosewood and ebony fingerboards.

I canā€™t find orange oil anywhere. All I see is lemon oil. Is that as good as orange oil? Whatā€™s the difference? The Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil specifically mentions that itā€™s not suitable for maple, so I assume itā€™s not equivalent to orange oil.

Or how about this one? The reviews sound good, but it seems to be for ebony specifically, and it doesnā€™t say anything about the ingredients.

1 Like

There are many options on Amazon that I see for wood grade that donā€™t specifically state they are pure.
But if you are worried about purity, go the food grade route like this I guess. Not sure whatā€™s available by you but should be able to find something.

I just use the Music Nomad F-One oil. I have not obsessed over this quite yet.

1 Like

The Lakland faq mentions ā€œAvoid cleaners that contain added thinners or siliconeā€, so Iā€™m avoiding anything that says ā€œwith orange oilā€.

Not sure if those aromatherapy oils are suitable for this eitherā€¦

2 Likes

Not sure for maple. For Rosewood: No. You absolutely do not want a pure citrus oil. They are astringent and will dry out the wood.

Nearly everything marketed as lemon oil is actually mineral oil with a slight lemon scent to it.

Which is what I use for rosewood fretboards; simply Dā€™Addario Lemon Fretboard Oil.

I have heard rumors of people cleaning lacquered maple fretboards with windex :rofl:

Sweetwater has some recommendations:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-to-clean-a-maple-fretboard/

2 Likes

Silly questionā€¦but I got my Bass second handā€¦and wasnā€™t told what wood sheā€™s made out ofā€¦is there a way to ā€˜tellā€™?. The body alone is made up ā€˜threeā€™ planks!. If this is for another topic, ignore me, I just thought Iā€™d ask!. I would love to clean mine up abitā€¦as I seen some dirt orā€¦something on the fingerboard. Id appreciate it =3

1 Like

Itā€™s not so much about which wood itā€™s made of, itā€™s more about how itā€™s finished.

Nitrocellulose, Polyurethane, Lacquered, Oiled, Waxed, Gloss, Satin, Mattā€¦ Itā€™s the finish that determines how you care for it, unless the wood is bare and unfinished.

That said, post details of your bass and some pics and Iā€™m sure weā€™ll be able to figure it out.

2 Likes

This is the one I use on all my rosewood, ebony and pau ferro fretboards. I have not had any problems with it and it makes the boards look and feel great.

3 Likes

@cobaltblue13 Show us your bass. Its always an adventure to figure it out with this friendly bunch.

1 Like

Alright, I can try!. I wasnā€™t sure if it was the wood that mattered or whatā€¦I forgot finish can make a difference too, whoops =/.

Howā€™s that?ā€¦Iā€™m not sure about details, since Iā€™m a complete noobā€¦not sure if the ā€˜makeā€™ helps or ā€˜modelā€™?ā€¦sheā€™s a Washburn Bantamā€¦I think I was told it was a 2000 release?ā€¦like the year she was made?ā€¦I hope that shines some light XD;.

2 Likes

That looks like a satin lacquered finish on the body so nothing special required to clean it.
Music Nomad ā€œall-purpose guitar detailerā€ should do the job.

For a dark unfinished fingerboard, Music Nomad ā€œF-One oilā€ will bring it up beautifully. (as will a multitude of other ā€˜oilsā€™ from other manufacturers).

2 Likes

Oh goodā€¦Iā€™m glad itā€™s nothing tooā€¦like fancyā€¦not that I wouldnā€™t want a fancy Bass, but starting out, Iā€™m good with ā€˜basicā€™ at the moment, lol. Thank you! =3

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t your Lakland have an Ebony fingerboard?
If so, either of the oils you linked should be fine on it. (Although Iā€™d stick with the F-One oil personally).

Iā€™m guessing theyā€™re referring to cleaning the back of the maple neck rather than the fingerboard. Is that bare unfinished wood or satin lacquered?

1 Like

Totally agree with @HowlinDawg. The musicnomad stuff seems to be good value and they say they use some of their proceeds to help musicians.

Stick to what ya got (looks like a solid bass) and play play play or else youā€™ll end up like me spending too much time looking for ā€˜fancyā€™ toys instead of doing what really will make you happy. Being a better bass player.

Have fun.

2 Likes

The GZ is ebony, the DJ is maple

The top half was about the neck, the bottom about the fingerboard

Wish I knew what all the various finishes look likeā€¦ Iā€™d say satin, but I have no idea.

From left to right:

1. Ibanez SR500E, walnut neck with rosewood fingerboard
  2. Lakland DJ-4, maple neck with maple fingerboard
  3. Lakland 44-64 GZ PJ, maple neck with ebony fingerboard

2 Likes

Huh thatā€™s pretty cool, Iā€™ll definitely try that, I wrote everything down, so I can get it later, lol. Though I definitely will, I already love my Bass and I got her in August, I been practicing away!. Though I have been looking at othersā€¦figure Iā€™d learn to take care of ā€˜thisā€™ one first and the basics before I really put out some dough for something more expensive. Including a ā€˜bathā€™ lol

2 Likes

In case youā€™re interested, this article is about the guy that designed the Bantams for Washburn.

Builder Profile: Sherman Guitars - Premier Guitar

He had his own Luthier business in Connecticut but the link seems to be dead.

1 Like

Huh I actually was curious, I honestly never heard of Bantam or Washburn, only when I got my Bass, so I wasnā€™t quite sure about it. I wanted a Fender, cause it was better known and a pretty good brand. I only looked up the name after my purchase, I couldnā€™t even the ā€˜Bantamā€™ part, lol. But Iā€™ll check it out, thanks! =3

1 Like

Ahhh, I didnā€™t realise you had two. :sunglasses:

If the neck is lacquered (looks like it) then a wipe with a barely damp cloth should do the job.

Iā€™ve never seen an unfinished maple fingerboard. If itā€™s sealed then thereā€™s no need to oil it and, again, a wipe with a dry to barely damp cloth will clean it. If itā€™s unfinished then yeah, lemon oil would discolour it, and itā€™s going to be an absolute pig to keep looking nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen an unfinished one either, @HowlinDawg . . . and thatā€™s one of the reasons Iā€™ve always preferred maple over any other type of fingerboard . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

I very much doubt that there is ever any lemon in any lemon oil, and for good reason!(donā€™t use any orange oil either). Itā€™s almost certainly just chemical scent.

And donā€™t use anything on maple. It doesnā€™t need it. A quick wipe is enough.

3 Likes