On the Beach bass tabs, song by Neil Young

Any chance for someone coming up with the tabs for On the Beach by Neil Young? This old 65 yo retired hippy is trying to find this song and master the bass at the same time.
Thanks.
Keep on Rockin

3 Likes

Hi @stevenw901, welcome to the forums! When I use Google to search for “Neil Young on the beach bass tab”, I get quite a lot of hits. No idea how accurate they are of course. Have you already tried some of them, and if so, do you have any problems with them?

Welcome to the forum @stevenw901.

There are a couple threads around the forum where people talk about finding tab sheets for different songs if you do a search.
FYI, the term “Tab” is a contraction of tablature, therefore it’s “Tab” not “Tabs”. (Sorry, I’m a retired magazine editor so I’m a stickler for proper form :smiley_cat:)

4 Likes

I have had a look on youtube and the cover i found is pretty easy to follow along with.!
I have just done the first minute of the YouTube cover for you, it’s pretty easy to follow,
Cheers Brian

image|375x500

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hi @stevenw901 ,
see my response above, i have transcribed the first minute or so from the youtube video i watched.
You should be able to work the rest out based on what i have seen, its tempo is very slow. :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

That was very thoughtful of you @TNKA36 Brian :sparkling_heart:

Thanks Pam, @PamPurrs,
I don’t mind doing tabs, not that i use them, i am like you i read the music :+1:.
It just challenges one to keep the mind active :sunglasses:
The song goes for 6.48mins, i havent watched all of it but i am tipping it has the same structure all the way through??.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

When I first started learning bass a couple years ago, tab was a great way to be able to instantly play songs without knowing anything about the actual music. However, once I started taking the sight reading course on TalkingBass and learning to read music properly, I can no longer play from tab; it’s like a completely different language.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, I did a Google search and only found 1 YT video on the song and 1 set of bass tab (not tabs, as I have gone through remedial training… thank you BABG- I thought your were retired???). The bass tab was fragmented and the video did not show the frets clearly for me. I am a neophyte re the bass and my skills are still being developed. This song is perfect to perfect (yikes! I really did say that BABG) since it is slow- a beginner song really. Thanks to all for reaching out. Seriously, you too BABG, I’m enjoying myself at your expense. I apologize. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most excellent Brian, thank you. I see there are a few notes that are different from the only one tab I saw. That’s what I like about the bass, you can add your own flavor to what you are playing. I am developing my beginner skills and this will help much. Thanks for your time and help.

1 Like

LOL it’s okay, I love helping people in any way I can, be it bass or vernacular.

2 Likes